Question about elysian shadows graphic designer.

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Levio91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Question about elysian shadows graphic designer.

Post by Levio91 »

Wha tdoes he use to make those awesome drawings? ex: software? mouse? one of those touch pads? :cheers:
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. " - Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Question about elysian shadows graphic designer.

Post by Andy K. »

I don't know about him, but for my spriting I use a mouse, and I have a tablet as well, but tablets don't work well when you're drawing at 32x32 :lol:

I prefer GraphicsGale, I've got a full copy, and I love it. I use Photoshop at times, too. But mostly GraphicsGale. For more detailed stuff I use Illustrator. It just depends what you prefer, anything awesome can be made in anything if you have the talent and practice.
Jools64
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Jools64 »

Hey, I use a mouse although I do have a pen tablet, because its more precise. =) (The pen tablet's for digital painting with Photoshop or Gimp ect.)
I do all my pixel art in Ms Paint although I'd recommend GraphicsGale over it any day. (I'm just used to paint and can do things much more efficiently in it.)

For pixel art I'd probably not recommend using software like Photoshop of Gimp, plainly because they take much more time to get used to. If your gonna be doing any other kind of art on the computer though, that's the way to go. ;)
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

GraphicsGale is great because it's lightweight, it's pretty much to the point, and it has to where you can set grid dimensions and then SNAP TO THE GRID, which I fucking love when making huge sprite sheets :lol:
JosephCh7
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by JosephCh7 »

I've used ms paint for several years, then took a left and tried graphics gale. honestly, I found it very confusing at first and it quickly scared me away. I figured I'd stick with paint until I heard about pro motion. pro motion is an excellent pixeling program and it's always made it seem so much easier to draw, though it's not free.

Two of my friends and I are currently designing a pixeling program ourselves. once it's released (should be new years), I'll post a link for you.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I use ms paint for pixel art, and I use gimp when I'm bored... I can't use gimp for games it just doesn't seem to have the tools I need where I need them, I try and put them somewhere else but then they end up getting moved again somehow...
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

I think I saw him using a tablet in one video and a mouse in another, so i'd say he's an all round utility pixel artist. :lol:
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Paint.net is pretty cool actually, I've been using it...
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

Paint.net aint bad, i think it's free. Some good programs i've been told to use are Graphics Gale, Paint.net and Adobe Photoshop. My personal fave, Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Anyway, back on topic, I do believe I saw him messing around with layers so I don't think hes using the default MS Paint, it looks like quite a proffesional piece of software.

I'll have to check through their videos to see what he is actually using ^^
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Actually, he says what he's using in this thread here http://elysianshadows.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 454#p28454
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

Hah, knew it, I said GFX Gale, I win, but, why not like use summat like, Adobe Photoshop. Oh well, guess he got used to gale... :roll:

MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Jools is the artist. "I do all my pixel art in Ms Paint although I'd recommend GraphicsGale over it any day. (I'm just used to paint and can do things much more efficiently in it.)"
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

After reading this post, I just checked out GraphicsGale... neat little program, I may use this for future endeavors.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

mgold07 wrote:Hah, knew it, I said GFX Gale, I win, but, why not like use summat like, Adobe Photoshop. Oh well, guess he got used to gale... :roll:
I DID use photoshop--but since I've started using Graphics Gale I've honestly gotten alot more done. It's to the point, lightweight, and very focused. After getting used to it it allows you to do just about as much as photoshop, and for characters it's invaluable as you can see your character animate as you go along.

Very good tool. I'll have to check out Pro Motion.
There is no signature.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Yes, Chris ^ counts too, right. :)