XNA Creators Club

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

XNA Creators Club

Post by Moosader »

For those of you with a 360, have any of you actually tried the trial versions of these games?

They're mostly shit...

You can check out the list at : http://catalog.xna.com/en-US/gamescatalog.aspx

Playing them is good for a laugh, and maybe some inspiration. Notably, A Kitchen Sink War is god awful, Pastry Wars looks about as bad, and oh god, the graphics on these things make me want to gouge out my eyes. ;P
I also tried out Pain Ball, Garrett the Slug is so amateurish, it doesn't even have smooth animation, like they couldn't figure out basic bounding box collision (IN XNA) so they had to stick to a tile-based thing.
Really mr. creator of Garrett the Slug, maybe you ought to make a few games before you upload them to the creators club.

sin(Surfing) I recognize from TIGsource, so that's okay by me 8D

Oh, and In The pit is an audio-only game (no graphics).
http://catalog.xna.com/en-US/GameDetail ... 198&type=2
If it were pulled off well it could be interesting, but from the "trailer" video, I really doubt it's anything notable.

Most of the games are knock-offs, puzzle games or really gimmicky.

Just more on my list of to-do-during-break.
Play with OpenGL and Lua, learn some Asp, learn some C# and XNA and school some newbs.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: XNA Creators Club

Post by avansc »

yeah most of the games are garbish.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by M_D_K »

OMG the screenshot from the forth level of in the pit...amazing :lol:

And even if I had a 360 I don't think I would go to the creator's club cause it looks like they except any old riff raff :)
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

Yeah, the Creators Club is basically an alternative to the XBLA. A less-harsh Newgrounds, if you will, where the good get voted up (or bought) and the bad ones, while unfortunately aren't blammed, hopefully disappear into obscurity.
As long as you pay $100/yr for the devver subscription, you can upload your game there (I think the only limitation is size? I don't remember, I'd have to check). Games can charge $2 to $10, I think, and then Microsoft said if a game is particularlly popular they may advertise the game for you for a nominal percentage of the income, with or without your permission. :)

This thing launched earlier this month so everything's poop atm.

Since it's in the early stages and there are no good games, I intend to make the most of the situation and try to make a little something over break.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

I've got a trial membership. You speak all of the truth, it is a bit shit right now.

I really can't wait, though, to see something done right with XNA. I've been affiliated on the Owlboy project http://www.dpadstudio.com/default.asp?t ... ject&id=2p, and they are using XNA. I've played it, it's beautiful and will be an awesome edition to the 360. But until then, I'm waiting for somebody to really wow me.

I might implement XNA and make something, I love C# anyway, but I just haven't made the decision yet. Who knows.

Usually, though, working with big companies such as Microsoft in deals like this isn't exactly the greatest thing to do... Microsoft has tons of lawyers to figure out loop holes and ways to screw people over, or protect themselves. We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

I was originally going to make Golvellius 3D in XNA, but I really wasn't happy with the framework. Just getting a 3D model imported into the game was a royal pain, and it just didn't have the bells & whistles of Ogre, so I switched.

I'm a little bummed that I can't play it on the 360, but then again, I wouldn't be nearly as far along if I were using XNA.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

trufun202 wrote:I was originally going to make Golvellius 3D in XNA, but I really wasn't happy with the framework. Just getting a 3D model imported into the game was a royal pain, and it just didn't have the bells & whistles of Ogre, so I switched.

I'm a little bummed that I can't play it on the 360, but then again, I wouldn't be nearly as far along if I were using XNA.
Yeah I saw your project through Falco's youtube, me thinks. I remember seeing it for awhile too. I'd have to agree Ogre is perfect for your project. I think for XNA in mind you have to actually want to make a game off XNA, you don't really conjure an idea and then make it fit to XNA! I mean, you could of course, but like you said royal pain!
LusikkaMage wrote:For those of you with a 360, have any of you actually tried the trial versions of these games?
sin(Surfing) I recognize from TIGsource, so that's okay by me 8D
The guys who made sin(Surfing) came to me and knew I had an XNA account, "ANDY ANDY, APPROVE OUR GAME". But then I felt bad when I had to tell them the trial membership didn't let you approve... :lol: But I was super happy when I saw them get in thar.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

Ohay, you wouldn't happen to be Powergloved Andy, would you?
Ages match up, and you're both Andys, and... your avatar is a Powerglove. o_o;
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

LusikkaMage wrote:Ohay, you wouldn't happen to be Powergloved Andy, would you?
Ages match up, and you're both Andys, and... your avatar is a Powerglove. o_o;
of course, I am =P

YOU SO KRAY-ZAY

But yes, it's me Moosader. :lol: I hit forums with both Powergloved Andy, or Andy K. I don't know which I like more. And as my logo for the projects I attempt I usually sign with "Andy K.", it's a mixed bag... Usually with everybody it ends up "Andy K, The Powergloved Andy". So that's the explaination. ;) Cheers!
teamtwentythree
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by teamtwentythree »

Yea, it is a bit surprising that there's nothing in there thats all that impressive.

XNA has been out long enough I'd have expected someone to have a cool project done. But for myself I am waiting till I finish my current project before I do anything else, so maybe I'll poke it in a year... or two.
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

Yeah I have checked some off them out over the last couple days not only are most of them just bad game ideas but they are poorly done games.
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

At least they aren't hiring people to program for them while they think up the ideas and call it their project.
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

Kcirtap1990 wrote:At least they aren't hiring people to program for them while they think up the ideas and call it their project.

agreed, but it seems that people are just throwing up pieces of crap just hoping they will make a buck or two instead of spending some time and releasing some quality games.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by Moosader »

Yeah, it seems kinda like "Oh crap, they're letting me upload games now!" so they make whatever as fast as they can. (Though I doubt people making Asteroids and Snake clones don't know that much anyways)

I say, a bunch of us should commit to trying to make some neat games over the semester break. :D
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

LusikkaMage wrote:I say, a bunch of us should commit to trying to make some neat games over the semester break. :D
sounds good to me I have no school and I am taking 2 weeks off of work I am still a newb so it will probably be crap but cant be to much worse then some of the stuff all ready out there.