Elysian Shadows + Vista?

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Elysian Shadows + Vista?

Post by Arce »

I still say it should run fine in a winshell. JSL says he tried it a while back, and it worked but didn't "display tiles"...

I think I'll PM him and ask to try again? Maybe he didn't load a project correctly? haha.

The graphical API that Blitz uses actually amounts to DX7 or something (hence the trouble with hardware supported transparencies). Yes, poor language choice...But hey, it was supposed to be a "quickie." When Gyro originally presented it to me, he said "I need something that lets you lay tiles. That's it. Now!" so can't really blame me. ;p

If the windows GUI worked in his shell, I have a hard time believing that DX 7-8 didn't? Maybe it's just too old? Though Vista and win7 also support it (tested and works fine...). I'm not a big DX person, and it's HIGHLY encapsulated in Blitz. Not even sure what the major changes were from 7->present and sorta don't care enough to find out. =p
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Sword_Clash
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Sword_Clash »

you know how its for dreamcast how will you give it to people, is it going to be like a file to download then they put it onto a disc. If a disc then what kind of disc cd dvd...
Last edited by Sword_Clash on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sword_Clash wrote:you know how its for dreamcast aswell how will you give it to people, is it going to be like a file to download then they out it onto a disc or something.
Yes.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Would I be able to download Elysian Shadows onto my PSP by any chance? I'd like to be able to play it, and carry the game with me wherever I go. :)
Sword_Clash
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Sword_Clash »

Marx Chaotix wrote:Would I be able to download Elysian Shadows onto my PSP by any chance? I'd like to be able to play it, and carry the game with me wherever I go. :)
They would have to change the engine coz of the format psp games are written in. I think
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Marx Chaotix wrote:Would I be able to download Elysian Shadows onto my PSP by any chance? I'd like to be able to play it, and carry the game with me wherever I go. :)
Yeah, you'd have to be running a Dreamcast emulator(I think there is one for PSP, I faintly remember hearing about one and thinking that was strange, but awesome) or bust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix9huu4k5Qo < Not crazy!
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Uh, no.

Seriously, there wouldn't be a chance in hell of a fullspeed DC emulator for PSP. Consider the fact that the Dreamcast is more powerful than the PSP in multiple ways. The DC has way more fancy GPU capabilities like hardware texture compression, more VRAM, bumpmapping, hardware fog, etc.

The PSP wins in the arena of more polys/sec (supposedly, and not by much) and a faster processor.

The fast processor is basically the only relevent requirement for something to emulate something else, but with what the DC has on the PSP no emulator could possibly boast anywhere near completeness (or probably playable speeds).
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

GyroVorbis wrote:Uh, no.

Seriously, there wouldn't be a chance in hell of a fullspeed DC emulator for PSP. Consider the fact that the Dreamcast is more powerful than the PSP in multiple ways. The DC has way more fancy GPU capabilities like hardware texture compression, more VRAM, bumpmapping, hardware fog, etc.

The PSP wins in the arena of more polys/sec (supposedly, and not by much) and a faster processor.

The fast processor is basically the only relevent requirement for something to emulate something else, but with what the DC has on the PSP no emulator could possibly boast anywhere near completeness (or probably playable speeds).
But a ps3 can easily emulate any console, except the 360
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

How 'bout the iphone/touch???
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

eatcomics wrote:How 'bout the iphone/touch???
doesnt that have to be in objective-c++?
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

eatcomics wrote:How 'bout the iphone/touch???
It probably can. The only thing it cant really do easily is touch screen
Pickzell wrote:doesnt that have to be in objective-c++?
only input, graphics, etc. you can impliment c++ I think
I'll make your software hardware.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I was talkin more bout a emulator or something :)
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I don't think there is a fully functional iPhone emulator out, but either way it would have to be written in Objective-C which is not happening or Gyro would have it on his iPod Touch already. ;)
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Trask wrote:I don't think there is a fully functional iPhone emulator out, but either way it would have to be written in Objective-C which is not happening or Gyro would have it on his iPod Touch already. ;)
What ever.... Just saying... They've got it on the pusp...
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

deryni21 wrote:
thejahooli wrote:Thank god for that
Lots of things that havent worked on vista for me so was worried that Elysian Shadows wouldn't
for the love of all things what hasn't ran on vista that has you so worried that this won't.
game maker 5-7
audacity
3DS Max
Almost every PC game