Super Mario 64

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Super Mario 64

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

I beat the original game, not the DS version, for those of you who worry too much.

Story
4/10

This game has an OK storyline. Basically, Princess Peach bakes a cake for Mario, Mario comes to the castle, Peach is gone, Mario talks to Toad, and finds out that Peach is trapped in one of the paintings (I know I'm not being specific). The story is kind of cheesey, and isn't too noticable.

Graphics
9/10

Super Mario 64 was one of the first N64 games, meaning that it was one of the first 3-D games. For starting 3-D graphics, it's really good.

Gameplay
9/10

Gameplay is pretty good. Basically, you jump into paintings (which are the levels), and you have one objective to complete. When you finish, you get a star. There are 8 objectives in one level. There are also doors, some which lead to other levels, important areas, and bosses. You have to have a certain amount of stars to get into certains doors. You also need keys to open some doors. Bowser is the main boss in the game. You fight him 3 times throughout the game. He'll get harder every time you fight him. You defeat him by grabbing his tail, swinging him around, and throwing him into these spikey looking ball things. The second time you fight him, he can run and jump, making it harder to grab his tail. The final battle with him is the hardest. He can create a sesmic boom by jumping and ground pounding. After you beat him, that's the end of the game.

Sound
6/10

Sound is pretty good. Mario talks (sort of) in an Italian voice, Cannons make cannon-like sounds, and you hear can hear Mario running. The only thing I don't like about the sound is that a lot of the enemies make the same sounds (such as Goombas and Koopas).

Overall
7/10

Super Mario 64 is a great game. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 was mainly because of the storyline and the repetitive sound.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I think Super Mario 64 for Nintendo DS blows ass and sucks the origonal is better in my opinion.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

The DS version isn't bad. The original is still much better though.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

spideyspiderman2000 wrote:The DS version isn't bad. The original is still much better though.
My thoughts exactly.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

The only thing I like about the DS version is the mini games but besides that it sucks in my opinion.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

Mario 64 is definately one of the best games for the N64.
It's up ther with Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye.
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Ah, Banjo Kazooie. That was a great game. I traded it with my neighbor for Mario Party though. A fair enough trade.

I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Am I the only one who bothered buying Banjo-Tooie?
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Hey Gyrovorbis I think that should be on your summer list to beat over the summer.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I bought Banjo-Tooie. Matter'o'fact I played it not to long ago.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:I bought Banjo-Tooie. Matter'o'fact I played it not to long ago.
Yeah, I meant to get around to beating it. Did you like it? Actually, it has some flickin' sweet multiplayer modes also.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

My brother bought it.

I sure do hope they make more Banjo Kazooies.
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Wutai wrote:My brother bought it.

I sure do hope they make more Banjo Kazooies.
Banjo-kazooie 3 is already in development for the X-box 360.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Banjo Tooie was great. I wish they'd make the next one for Revolution too, since that's what I'll be goin' with. I think they made two Banjo Kazooie games on the GBA. I heard they weren't very good though.

I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Marx Chaotix owns Grunty's Revenge for GBA. From what I saw, the graphics were really good. I didn't really play it though, so I can't say anything for gameplay.

The other one is Banjo-Pilot. We have a whole topic about that game somewhere. It was such a disappointment. It looked like a spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing (one of my favorite games), but the gameplay was extremely bland and dull.