God of War (PS2)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

FredDibnah
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

God of War (PS2)

Post by FredDibnah »

One of the most hyped games of the year, God of War (PS2), is also one of the best. The development team Santa Monica, who are known for the popular Twisted Metal series, decided to try their hand at a different genre and create an action game similar to Devil May Cry and Prince of Persia. The twist? God of War is set in aincent Greece, following the epic tales of Greek mythology. Players control the brutal Kratos, an ex-Spartan warrior seeking revenge against the God of War, Ares.

Story

As the game begins, Kratos hurls himself from the highest mountain in Greece. As he plummets to the sharp rocks below, his mind flashes back three weeks earlier, and from then on the player discovers the events that led up to his demise. The story is suprisingly engaging, and makes good use of its source material. From hydras to cyclopses to minotaurs, no mythological legend is spared. All in all, a good story in a genre where stories are rare.

Story: 8/10

Gameplay

The combat system in this game is amazing. Using daggers attached to chains, Kratos slashes his way through foes at a blazing speed. The square button is for quick jabs, the triangle for lengthy swings, and when a circle icon appears over the heads of enemies, pressing this close to them enters the player in a small minigame where button icons appear on the screen, and if all are entered correctly, you're treated to a grisly death sequence (ie. harpies having their wings pulled off or a minotaur getting stabbed in the mouth), which brings me to my next point. God of War is GORY. It is possibly the bloodiest game I have ever played. Kratos decapitates, maims, and even rips bodies in half with his own hands. It is definently not for the queezy.
Players must collect orbs to progress through the game. There are three kind of orbs: green, blue, and red. Green replenishes health, blue replenishes magic, and red levels up weapons and spells. These orbs can be found by either killing enemies or finding treasure chests with the appropriate color on them.
Puzzles play a large part in this game, something I haven't seen in the action genre since the N64 Zeldas or Tomb Raider. Riddles, death traps, jumping and balancing sequences, anything you could think of is here (thankfully, not much crate pushing). In some cases, even sacrificing fellow Spartans is required to open doors. Overall, the puzzles are challenging and a refreshing change of pace in a barrage of brainless beat-em-ups.
Like I said before, the gameplay in this game is amazing. Whether you're slicing up minotaurs or pushing your brain to the max on the puzzles, it's always an engaging experience. My only quip is a slight difficulty issue; I was forced to change from Normal mode to Easy mid-game (an option conveniently programmed to be available after loosing a battle multiple times). And even on Easy, a few jumping puzzles, especially in the Hades level, drove me to chuck my controller like a baseball at the wall. Even so, the gameplay is a blast.

Gameplay: 10/10

Graphics

I'm not gonna beat around the bush. This game has the best graphics on PS2, period. The character models are detailed. The magic effects are godly. The Grecian architecture is portrayed with vivid colors and smart design. God of War's art team clearly did some research, as each area feels like it should. Big, epic, grand. And boy, are they big. The Temple of Pandora's Box, located on the back of the Titan Kronos has to be the biggest level I've ever seen in a game. I literally spent four or five hours there alone.
There's not much else to say about the graphics. They're beautiful.

Graphics: 10

Music

Imagine this: bombastic brass thunders as you crack the bones of your enemies, every percussive motif a metaphor of the visual chaos. You defeat all the enemies in the room, and as soon as you walk outside to watch a sweeping camera reveal a temple large enough to be a continent, the music has unnoticably segued into a mysterious fanfare, foreshadowing the aincent wonders that are waiting to be found inside. Now imagine that feeling all throughout the game, and you have GOW's impressive score.
Sure, alot of games have good scores. But what impressed me so much about this game's is that it constantly changed, constantly evolved to mirror the ever changing evironments and moods of the game. The change from song to song was so seamless that I never reconized a song playing more than once. Never repetitive, always appropriate, this is the soundtrack of God of War.

Music: 10/10

Sound

Sound effects were great. You could hear the blood splash, the flesh rip, the bones shatter. Everything was in-your-face and brutal.
Favorite sound effect: The gurgling sound when Kratos pushes his dagger into a Minotaur's mouth.

Sound: 10/10

Overall

It doesn't matter whether you like mythology or not. Do you like action games? You'll like God of War. Do you like puzzles with your action games? You'll like God of War. Do you like romance? :| Well...he does kill his wife, and there is a strange minigame that I'm not going to get into.
The point I'm trying to make is that no matter who you are, if you like violent, brutal games with mind-boggling puzzles, you'll like God of War.

Overall: 10/10
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Wow--the irony. I was at Rhino games today when some random kid was carrying MegaMan 64 and I began to talk. I knew he had good taste when I saw him with the title, so I asked him if there were any games he recommended. The funny thing is that he said "God of War" was a really badass game.

This review and that kid both make my chances of purchasing this game way higher.

Great review, it was informative and juicy. Nice.
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

I played that game at the mall once while Gyrovorbis was too busy playing that new-fangled Donkey Kong game with the Bongos.

That game was sweet!!!1
A glitch?
1st_Movement
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by 1st_Movement »

donkey konga...hm...i might write a review for that...
want a cookie?

i love to write. if you love to read, PM me. :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

1st_Movement wrote:donkey konga...hm...i might write a review for that...
When Hyper Shadow and I walked to the mall and I played Donkey Konga, it was one of the rare moments that I would've liked to own a Qbe.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Originally Posted by some guy:
Graphics

I'm not gonna beat around the bush. This game has the best graphics on PS2, period. The character models are detailed. The magic effects are godly. The Grecian architecture is portrayed with vivid colors and smart design. God of War's art team clearly did some research, as each area feels like it should. Big, epic, grand. And boy, are they big. The Temple of Pandora's Box, located on the back of the Titan Kronos has to be the biggest level I've ever seen in a game. I literally spent four or five hours there alone.

I
must
disagree
There is no signature.
Dark Crusader
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Dark Crusader »

WOOOOOOOT to that Yo!!!
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin
FredDibnah
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by FredDibnah »

Dj Yoshi wrote:
Originally Posted by some guy:
Graphics

I
must
disagree
Well, atleast out of what's already released.

BTW, why do people care about Gran Turismo? So what if it has good graphics? If a Bass fishing game came out that had the best graphics ever, would you buy it? It's just another racing game. (I haven't played it - but from what I've seen, the mechanics of the game aren't anything innovative. If I'm wrong, please correct me.)

I personally like Burnout 3 and Rush for N64.