Super Smash Bros. (N64)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Super Smash Bros. (N64)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 9.0
Sound: 9.0
Replay: 10.0
Gameplay: 10.0

Review: Super Smash Bros. was the answer that many gamers had been looking for. I for one, had been super pissed off at Yoshi's Story for soiling the most respectable title: Yoshi's Island. I wanted to ring a Yoshi's neck. Then the most unsuspected and random thing happened. I could. Super Smash Bros. allows you to beat the crap out of your Nintendo characters. Why just hold a grudge when you can annihilate them instead?

Graphics are awesome. Characters are probably more detailed than they were on their solo titles for the N64. After being punched you can see their expressions change. You can see the pain inflicted by watching them cringe. You can see just how hard a punch is, or how hard you chuck an item at somebody thanks to many special affects. The background and scenery are lush and colorful while at the same time they are ripped from other games. Visuals are great.

Sound is awesome. Punch a Yoshi and you hear that super annoying 'Owowowowow!' from Yoshi's Story! Every character says something different when they get hit or smacked. It is actually very satisfying. Every song is a respectable remake of an older game. It fits right in. You'll love the sound.

Gameplay is what makes this game so incredible and unforgettable. There really isn't much to it. You pick a character and beat somebody else up. You win by hitting the character off the screen. The more you hit them the more their damage counter goes up. The higher the damage counter, the farther they'll be flung each hit. Just to make the game more chaotic, each level has something special in the background that makes it interactive. For example, Kirby's level blows strong winds, Samus's rises with lava, etc. Then you also use random items that fall from the sky. You can use a baseball bat, koopa shell, capsule, and whole bunch of other stuff.

It doesn't matter who you are. If you like fighting games or have ever liked a single Nintendo game just go buy it. I've never heard of anybody who hasn't completely enjoyed this game. Trust me you won't be any different. Buy it. NOW!
FredDibnah
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by FredDibnah »

It's grown kind of obsolete now that Melee is out.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

FredDibnah wrote:It's grown kind of obsolete now that Melee is out.
I agree, but there are still a few people (such as myself) who only have the N64 version and still play it excessively.