Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 10
Sound: 10
Replay: 9.0
Gameplay: 10.0

Review: A stork was on its way to bring the Mario brothers to their parents. Along came one of Bowser's henchmen and knocked the stork out of the sky. Luigi was kidnapped, but Mario fell into the jungle below where Yoshi finds him. Yoshi picks Mario up and brings him to the rest of the Yoshi clan. They all decide to help reunite Mario with Luigi and deliver them safely to their parents.

You read the rating right. I gave the game a perfect 10. Trust me, it truly deserves it. First, we'll address the unique graphics. Character sprites and scenery look very much like a cartoon. But the objects, ground, and water look more realistic. Scenery and background are super detailed which gives the game an intense in-depth feeling. The whole game is bursting with color that gives a nice, cheery effect. Crystals, grass, lava, water, trees, and fog are all realistic, and in their own sense, beautiful. You might find yourself walking through levels again just because of how pleasing the visuals are. This is definitely worthy of a ten.

The game's sound is awesomely powerful. Without sound, this game would be worth no more to me than Tetris. Sound is everything here. In all cases, the rhythm is slow and relaxing. Music just deepens the depth of what the stunning visuals create. Sounds fit perfectly in every case they are used. Caves have slow deep sounds. Jungles have faster paced, yet cheery melodies. Also, there are many remix sounds of old skool Mario games. Every single song in this game is stuck in my head. You'll never get them out!

Now to talk about the gameplay. You take control of a Yoshi. Baby Mario rides on your back. You navigate through the level trying to reach the goal. When you reach the goal, you toss baby Mario to the next Yoshi and continue your adventure. While in levels, Yoshis can slurp up enemies with their long tongues. After doing so, you may either swallow them or spit them out. Swallowing pops and egg out of Yoshi that follows along. You use the eggs to shoot enemies and break through obstacles. Another of Yoshi's abilities include momentarily flying after jumps. When you do this, Yoshi will get a little extra height before falling back to the ground. Butt-stomping is used when Yoshi is high in the air and smashes the ground with his butt. When Yoshi comes in contact with an enemy, baby Mario will float away in a bubble. You have to catch him before your time gauge runs out. You may refill this gauge by gaining stars. It works basically like a life gauge.

In conclusion, we find this game to be one of the most respectable titles ever. We certainly find it worthy of the Mario name. Now why did Nintendo have to go and soil Yoshi's by turning them into the little wussies they are in 'Yoshi Story'? The world may never know how Nintendo thinks. You have to buy this game. I don't care who you are, BUY IT!