Wario's Woods (SNES)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Wario's Woods (SNES)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 8.5
Sound: 9.5
Replay: 9.0
Gameplay: 9.5

Review: We all hate and are truly sick of Mario puzzle games, right? WRONG! That kind of attitude will get you shot! This, in my opinion, is the Mario puzzler done right. I'd prefer this game over plenty of Mario's platformer adventures.

The graphics are nice and clean. The variation of sprites and their fluid-like animations really go easy on your eyes. The game is cheery and colorful with cartoonish backgrounds and characters. Even the menus are nicely colored and look great. While the game is just bursting with color, graphics aren't that good. I can think of a handful of SNES games with better. The game's graphics certainly get done what they are supposed to and with style. This is certainly worthy of a solid 8.5.

Sound rules. I've been addicted to the music for years. The theme song is so great. It really relaxes you. Then when Wario comes along, the music turns appropriately screechy and evil sounding. Sound effects rule even more than the actual music. Toad even talks! He says things like: Sweet! Cool! Winner! I don't think I've ever heard a better fitted voice for Toad. Explosions and special affects sound equally as good. The only thing preventing this game from its perfect 10 is the over-used theme song. I certainly don't mind, but I'm positive that you will.

Gameplay is the strong point of this game. No, you never see great gameplay on puzzle games. You sure do here. Little animals and such fall from the sky (Quite similar to tetris). You walk around as Toad moving and relocating these animals. You can pick them up, kick them, walk on them, and throw them. When you match any amount of animals over two that are the same color, and add a bomb to it, they explode. Different animals require different ways to be destroyed. Some have to be matched up diagonally and other weird ways. Once all things have been destroyed, the round is clear and you win. To lose, your animals and such stack up and touch the ceiling. Wario and Birdo both take turns watching the tree that you do this in. When Birdo watches, the calm music plays with a moderate amount of animals falling. When Wario watches the tree, he rams it and causes the ceiling to lower, not to mention he turns everything into hell by making way more animals fall. That makes it plenty harder to win. The fact that you control Toad to manipulate them instead of just flipping them with a push of a button is probably what makes this game shine.

Maybe it is just me. I am extremely obsessed and addicted to this game. I've heard people who hate it, and people that just can't put it down. You should decide more by the gameplay description rather than my personal opinion. I think you'd like it. If you believe me, go buy it. If you don't then push Alt+F4! :-)