Wario's Woods (NES)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Wario's Woods (NES)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 10.0
Sound: 9.0
Replay: 8.0
Gameplay: 8.5

Review: Wario's Woods is a fun puzzle game. NO WAIT! Don't leave! It's cool, I promise. I hate puzzle games, but Nintendo really knew what they were doing on this installment. It was originally created for the SNES, but Nintendo randomly decided to recreate it for the NES. The year was 1994 and Nintendo was probably working on N64. It really makes you respect NES when you realize there were games released for it during the N64 era.

Graphics? I still mistake it for SNES. It couldn't of been better. I've never seen a more lush or nicely colored game for the NES in my life. My number one complaint for the NES was that only dull colors were used. This is certainly not true in this case. There really isn't too much of a difference in the NES and SNES graphics.

Sounds are nice, but not as good as they could of been. They are certainly catchy, but the SNES had catchier music for this game. Sound effects and all sound good. Same with music. It sets a cheery tone for the game when it is Birdo watching the tree. When Wario comes along, the music switches abruptly to a more screechy tune.

Gameplay is the strong point of this game. No, you never see great gameplay on puzzle games. You sure do here. Little animals and such fall from the sky (Quite similar to tetris). You walk around as Toad manipulating these animals. You can pick them up, kick them, walk on them, and throw them. When you match any amount of animals over two that are the same color, and add a bomb to it, they explode. Different animals require different ways to be destroyed. Some have to be matched up diagonally and other wierd ways. Once all things have been destroyed, the round is clear and you win. To lose, your animals and such stack up and touch the ceiling. When Wario watches the tree, he rams it and causes the ceiling to lower. That makes it plenty harder to win. The fact that you control Toad to manipulate them instead of just flipping them with a push of a button is probably what makes this game shine.

Me, being such a great reviewer, created this cheesy little animation so that you can understand how the game works.

To conclude this review, Wario's Woods is quite a game. If you find this for the NES, dive at it full force and buy it. This is one of, if not the rarest NES game out there. If you manage to find it for the SNES, go grab it, but in a more respectable fashion. You'll enjoy this game.