Mario is Missing! (NES)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Mario is Missing! (NES)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 8.0
Sound: 6.0
Replay: 5.0
Gameplay: 6.0

Review: Mario is Missing probably isn't the type of game that you'd want to own. While there really isn't anything wrong with it, personal taste is the key. When you hear 'educational' and videogame in the same sentence, you'd probably grunt and walk off. But, I mean that's only natural.

The graphics of this game are great. Almost every sprite is a nicely recycled copy from Super Mario World for the SNES. Every one of them is nicely detailed and of SNES quality as well. But the coloring is not. It seems that the game's palette only utilized bland and dull colors. Every building in every stage are only different shades of the same color. This repetitiveness is certainly a turn-off. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure the game would have a nice 10 in graphics.

Sound is okay. One good part is that every song is minimally repetitive. You just can't appreciate that enough because of how long you stay in a level. I'm sure that the complex music would be so much better if they hadn't used such high notes. I'd like it better and it would certainly be more relaxing if the pitch was much lower.

Gameplay is what killz. Mario has been kidnapped by a very distasteful koopaling. Now it is up to Luigi and Yoshi to get him back. As Luigi, you explore different exotic cities in the world. You could go anywhere from France or Rome to Russia or Egypt. It just so happens that every city has had major artifacts stolen from its museum, what a coincidence! Luigi must recover all of the precious artifacts from the koopalings by finding and stomping them in the middle of the street. Then, after finding them, you have to determine which museum is associated with which artifact.
Now you are ready for the test. Luigi has to walk up to the museum owner and present her with the artifact. Before accepting it, she asks you questions about the country or city that you are in. The answers to these questions should of been found before you talk to her by talking to the people walking in the street. If you answer her questions correctly, she'll accept the artifact and you'll be one step closer to completing the stage. You must repeat this process with the next two artifacts.
Once all artifacts have been retrieved and restored, it is time to leave. Having talked to everyone and been quizzed, you probably know where you are at on the Earth. Then, you switch to your map and navigate Yoshi to your position on earth. Once he arrives, you can leave the city.

Did that sound entertaining? Actually, I think it is. I loved it. But as these reviews are unbiased, I'm sure you won't feel the same way. Also, this is a videogame that had the rare pleasure of being played and beaten by my mom. Besides Wario's Woods, and the Legend of Zelda, this is the only video game my mom has ever liked. For an education game, this game rules. Buy undoubtedly if you are an NES collector or just a Mario collector. Buy if you liked the gameplay review. Stay the hell away if the game sounds boring to you.