Super Mario Land II: 6 Golden Coins (GB)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Super Mario Land II: 6 Golden Coins (GB)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 8.0
Sound: 7.0
Replay: 8.0
Gameplay: 8.0

Review: What other game do I remember more than any from the good old days growing up with Super Sonic? The name is Super Mario Land II: The Six Golden Coins. When Down at the sewage, I stumbled upon a game Super Sonic had brought. I picked it up and popped it in. "This game kicks ass," I thought, as I randomly spin jump my ass across a row of blocks.

The basic plot of this game is that Wario has taken over your castle (that bastard). So in order to regain what is rightfully yours, you must travel the six different zones, (there are a few random levels that need not be visited.) and collect the golden coin from each zone. The zones are: Turtle Zone, Mario Zone, Pumpkin Zone, Marco Zone, Tree Zone, and Space Zone.

In this Mario game, aside from the usual Super and Fire Mario abilities, there are carrots that you can pick up and turn into Rabbit Mario. Bounce around constantly by holding B, or jump and hold B in the air to sort of glide down the screen.

There are some cool additions to this game, such as the random roulette type game. Pay an amount of coins, 30, 50, 200, or 999. The machine spins, jump to stop it, and this bird will ram his beak in the way of the spinning wheel and you may win a prize depending on what you land on. The quality of your possible prizes depends on the amount of coins you chose, for example, if you chose thirty, all you can get are 'shrooms, fire flowers, and carrots.

In order to complete a zone, you must work your way through each level. Most zones have about four levels. In the middle of every level there is a bell you ring that acts as a checkpoint. And like most Mario games there are many little shortcuts, and stashes of coins you can find by finding hidden blocks and such. Then once you get to the end, you must defeat a boss. The bosses are cake for the most part. But it can be frustrating when you get through the level to the boss, and then die, and have to beat the level all over again.

What makes this game fun is the vast variety of different levels. There are so many great levels that you will not want to put your Game Boy down until you beat it...Or perhaps just until you get to the final castle. That's where I say "Hellz no," and switch the power off. I really don't care for that part of the game. It is much too difficult for my taste, and I'd rather just not deal with it, but that's just me. The rest of the game is Superb.

The sound in this game is good, a good variety of background music. And the sound effects sure fit the gameplay. But it's just nothing very special.

This is a game I enjoy playing over and over again.. For a while, then you kind of need a break, so pop in Super Mario Bros. for a day, then go back to this one and randomly bunny bounce over an army of spiky ants.

Originally reviewed by Coal