Wrecking Crew (NES)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Wrecking Crew (NES)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 8.5
Sound: 7.5
Replay: 9.0
Gameplay: 8.5

Review: Wrecking Crew is certainly one of the more random games I've ever played in my life. It really doesn't have a storyline or a plot. The chances are that you probably haven't even heard of it unless you are at least 5 years older than I am. This was one of Mario's first games. Arguably it is Wario's first game as well. There is a mustached rival of Mario. IT IS WARIO! I promise!

Graphics were nice. They achieved what they needed to, and then more. I compare them to Super Mario Bros. because they were released that same year. Wrecking Crew's graphics are just as good, but the reason I didn't give it a 10 was due to repetitiveness. They are nice, but then they get old. All levels look completely similar. Nintendo could of at least recolored them for some variation. But they didn't. Oh well.

Sound is nice. Depending on who you are, you might find it some what addicting. Sound just doesn't seem too NES-like. It reminds me of Donkey Kong from the arcade. This game has arcade-like sound and sound effects.

Did you Know?
Somebody must of liked it because they took the bonus stage sound right out and put it in the underwater level of Mario Land (that was the most respectable song in the whole game)

I'm going to attempt to explain the random gameplay. You are Mario. You have a hammer. Your job is to run around beating anything that is breakable. After you've broken everything you move onto the next level. Sound boring? Nah, it is actually really fun. Ever played a bomberman game? Placing bombs and blowing people up. Yes, it is primitive but it is way fun. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking when they put a 'level select' option on there, but I don't mind. There are about 40 levels that get appropriately harder as you go. I guess just to add to the randomness, or because they were bored, Nintendo added a 'create your own level' type deal. You can make your own levels to beat and bash to hell. Now that is fun.

In Japan, this game was redone for the Super Nintendo. As far as I know it never reached the U.S. It was called: Wrecking Crew '99. The game had the original 'Wrecking Crew' from NES, but also featured a new Wrecking Crew that was little better than Tetris. The game was good, only because it had the original Wrecking Crew. The puzzle Tetris like deal was boring and pointless. The closest that American and British people could get to this game is the rom.

Wrecking Crew is a super rare game. The only place you'd probably ever find it is ebay. If you find it, I advise you to pick it up. You and your girlfriend will have hours of fun smashing each others faces in instead of the walls and ladders! :)