Super Mario Bros (NES)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Super Mario Bros (NES)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Graphics: 10
Sound: 10
Replay: 10
Gameplay: 10.0

Review:Super Mario Bros. is not just a game. It is... uhhh... art. I've never met one person who doesn't rank this game in one of their top ten favorite game list. This is what started it all. The global Mario fiasco started here. Video gaming as we know it originated here. Who am I to grade the flawless? Nobody, I'm not going to criticize. There is nothing to criticize. Rather, I'll 'explain' the complex beauty and nature of this godly title.

Graphics? This game redefined 'graphics'. People were just coming out of the Atari age. Going from indistinguishable dots to full character and game sprites was a large change. Sure, Sega Master System did it before, but not many people owned one. These graphics surpassed Master System anyway. The levels and tiles go together like ketchup and fries. There were many different tiles that gave the game a diverse twist. Characters like Mario and Luigi actually looked real to an extent. Their sprites were detailed and a large array of detailed enemies were also present. The levels range from sunny days and dark nights to dark underground caves and underwater levels. Like everything else, graphics are perfect.

The game's sound is perfect. Sound is so perfect that there isn't a single level song that hasn't been reused in another Mario game. The first level's song became the unofficial Mario theme song. Not only do they fit with the levels adequately but they are SUPER catchy too. You may find yourself whistling to them as you mow your lawn or something. Sound effects are dead on as well. Each sound fits its purpose nicely. From Mario's jumps to Mario's deaths, it's all good!

Surprisingly the revolutionary gameplay is simple. You're Mario or Luigi. You must rescue the Princess Toadstool. The game is split into worlds. There are eight, each with four levels. When you get to the end of the fourth level, you fight Bowser and find out that the princess is in another castle. At the final castle in the last world, you save the princess and finish the game. That isn't all. Each level has tons of bad guys and things that try to kill you. As Mario you have one hit before you die. If you find a mushroom you will get bigger and will be capable of more things. Then you have two hits before death. If you have a mushroom and find a fireflower, you gain the ability to shoot fireballs at enemies. Mario can find secrets like pipes. If you go down a pipe you will be in an underground bonus type place. You are usually rewarded with plenty of coins. There are also some special pipes, that when you go down, allow you to skip a world or so.

Probably most gamers prefer this title to most of your new 128-bit fancy 3D titles. This game, even if you aren't a gamer, it is a must have. My mom, my teachers, my friends, acquaintances, and everybody else has played or owns this game. If you haven't played or don't own this game, YOU SHOULD! So go and buy it, seriously!