MegaMan Legends/64 (PSX/N64)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

MegaMan Legends/64 (PSX/N64)

Post by Falco Girgis »

MegaMan Legends was Capcom's first attempt at bringing MegaMan to the third dimension. Oddly enough, this title ended up being a spin-off that had absolutely nothing to do with any other MegaMan series (like the Battle Network has no relation to the original, X, or Zero series).

This game was released for the PSX exclusively as MegaMan Legends and was later ported to the N64 as the first (and only) N64 MegaMan title.

Story: Okay, the story is majorly awesome. Capcom must of had an intuitive bunch working on this. The game takes place on a world covered with nearly endless water. People live on small patches of land and islands scattered throughout the world. People go from island to island by using high-tech aircraft that can handle it. Other than the flying machines and the weapons, the world is alot like earth. The level of technology is nearly the same and cities/towns are like ours.

Anyway, you play as "MegaMan Trigger." Although he doesn't know it, he was found as a child inside of ancient ruins by Proffessor Barrel. Barrel decided to take the baby in and raise him as his own with his grand-daughter: Roll. Roll named the baby "MegaMan" after her favorite video game franchise.

You play as a 14 year old MegaMan who makes a living by excavating ancient ruins. The earth is flooded with ruins underground that are technologically superior to anything on their world. The ruins also link islands to each other deep under the sea. The enemies from these ruins are "reverbots." Nobody knows how they got there or why they are there as they were created by the ancients to protect the ruins.

When in the ruins MegaMan excavates while Roll stays on the surface and communicates her readings from her instruments. MegaMan finds all sorts of treasure underground. One who makes a living off the ancient ruins like this is a "digger."

By the end of the game, the storyline and the ruins becomes so deep that I'm not even going to try to explain it, let alone that'd be ruining it.

Score : 10/10

Gameplay:
The gameplay is really what this game is about. You control MegaMan in complete 3D. You have a buster gun with infinate ammo, and you can get Roll to create special weapons for you with items you find in the ruins. MegaMan can jump, roll, and even jet-skate.

The game allows alot of diversity with what you do. There are all sorts of mini-quests that you can do for townspeople to earn items and other things. Then, you can just explore sub-ruins and find items and/or money. When you aren't doing that, you're battling pirates or exploring main ruins to progress in the game.

The reverbots in the ruins are nice foes, but at times you get a bit tired of the lack of diverse enemies. Maybe it's just because I've beaten the game a billion times. You probably won't even notice...

The actual bosses are a whole different story. Capcom did a great job of making them big, badass, intimidating robots that tower a good 20X as tall as you are.

Score: 9/10

Graphics:
MegaMan legends/64 has good graphics. Period. While neither version is anything groundbreaking, they really are very impressive for the time period (early life of both the 64 and PSX).

The vast worlds are nicely colored and have fair amounts of detail considering the hardware. The ruins look nice and are actually visually "old." The game has no pre-made movies and all movies are in-game graphics. While that could be viewed as a downside and all, I don't mind. The game graphics are good and they get the job done in the cutscenes just as good as a movie would.

Score: 7/10

Music:
Audio is undoubtedly another bright and shiny point for this title. I can't name a single song that I can't play over a kajillion times in my head or whistle. The music is catchy and fits the theme nice.

The ruins have creepy, yet energetic music. Think of a sci-fi-ish Mission Impossible song. It's really nice and it sets the mood.

In the city there is slower, more relaxed music. Again, it sets the tone for the environments.

Overall: Good god, I routinely beat this game over once every few months because of how nice it is. There's lots to do and it's just really addicting. At the current prices of games from this time era (I normally see MML for about $6), there is no reason to not have this game in your collection. The only thing that anybody could complain about is that it didn't stick with the original storyline. Thank god it didn't, I'm sick of that storyline being used to death.

MegaMan Legends/64 offers a much needed twist to the MegaMan series. I'd recommend you pick it up after reading about the two versions and deciding which best fits you.

Playstation One Version:
The PSX version was the original. While you might think this makes it worse, it actually doesn't. The PSX version boasts a higher resolution feeling and has much better audio. The higher resolution is at the cost of lots of jagged edges. The soundtrack is better on the PSone though. There is no way to deny it. A CD like the PSX uses has a good 650 MB for a game to occupy. Capcom had to rip and tear and compress the music and sound affects to the point that it sounds like people are talking through tunnels to fit the 650MB CD game on the 64-MB cart of the N64.

Nintendo 64 Version:
This version was MML later on remade on the N64. Although it is lacking in the sounds area, it arguably makes up for it with everything else. Textures look MUCH nicer. The N64 has hardware anti-aliasing so say goodbye to all of the jagged edges on the PSX. Also, there are no loading times on the cartridge and you have a billion+ save file spaces on the cart. The N64 version also has an added building towards the end. It's a cafeteria with servebots working there--don't ask.

One issue though is that you can't see as far on the N64. Technically you should be able to see farther, so I don't know if it's the anti-aliasing or what. On the PSX your range of view is farther. On the N64 you get a "white point" where everything behind it is invisible. The PSX has more a black point that is so far away that you can't notice.

In the end I think it all depends on what type of guy you are. If you like your N64, go with MM64. If you like the PSX, go with Legends. I personally went with the N64 because I think it has more to offer and despite its downgrades it looks and feels much more solid than the PSX. I also love the N64 controller and console more--so I might just be prejudice.
Wraith
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Wraith »

I cant belive that nobody has replied to this post yet, I mean come on Gyro, does this mean that we are the only ones who love this game enough to write on it. I will agree on your 10/10 ratingon the story but I think that you needed to mention the fact that at first it can be really confusing, I mean the first few times I played both Legends 1 and 2 I was just playing for the action because of the fact that it took some time for the story to completely register in my brain.
You may say I'm a dreamer/ But I'm not the only one/ I hope someday you will join us and the world will live as one.
-Imagine, John Lennon
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I love Megaman Legends 1 and 2 I beat the first one like 30 times GyroVorbis and I both played legends 2 also i never beat it.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

I love MM Legends! Actually, I should probably say MM64, since I went with that one. Anyway, it's a great game. Anyone who hasn't played this HAS to. And yes, that's a command.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

spideyspiderman2000 wrote:I love MM Legends! Actually, I should probably say MM64, since I went with that one. Anyway, it's a great game. Anyone who hasn't played this HAS to. And yes, that's a command.
I 100% agree with you and i also think anyone who hasn't played MM Legends 2 should and that's a cammand too.
1st_Movement
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by 1st_Movement »

you DO know that servebots dont exist? they're called "servbots"...and dont try "serverbots" either.

thats the biggest thing that angers me. the little lego men deserve more respect.

and its "reaverbots"...

sorry.

I dearly love this series. I never played this game, but I played the other two (YES TWO. The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is overlooked a lot.) and dearly love them too. I missed the first story from the first game...but I loved the second one.

i may have to pick this one up...
want a cookie?

i love to write. if you love to read, PM me. :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I <3 MAOTB.