Just purchased NES Classic Remake: Legend of Zelda.

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Just purchased NES Classic Remake: Legend of Zelda.

Post by Falco Girgis »

Yes, I couldn't believe it myself. After dissing the remakes for like a week, I come home from summer school and find that Arce here has bought the Zelda one. I wanted to fill you in on it.

First off, I would just like to apologize for ever dissing these little bastards. This primitive recreation of an NES masterpeice couldn't of been (much) better. Being that I own the original Zelda for the NES and play it frequently, I REALLY can compare the two very in-depthly.

First off, we'll compare da graphics. I must admit that when I popped it into my trusty GBA SP I was a little doubting, but soon I grew to appreciate the graphics. It is a bit awkward looking at what takes up a whole TV screen on the NES condensed into a single GBA screen on my SP. You DO, however get over that. There is absolutely no color loss, it is all beautifully preserved.

There is one fairly large difference in the porting of the graphics. You could look at it one of two ways. You could say that the GBA lost the texturing that the NES had, or you could say that the GBA flattened the graininess that plagued the NES. Either way, the GBA version's graphics look smoother despite the way you look at it. Knowing me, you'll realize that I'm loyal to my roots on the NES. I prefer its graphics myself. But, hey, these do kick ass.

Next, we'll address sound. The music has been (THANK YOU GOD) ported beautifully. It sounds EXACTLY the same. But, the sound effects are a different story. I guess that the SP and the NES are capable of different sounds. But our beloved sound of Link shooting a shadow of his sword when his hearts are full is soiled. Another sound that is different is the roaring of a boss as you near him in the catacombs. Unless you are a die-hard old-skoo fan like myself, you wouldn't notice (let alone care).

Believe it or not, I have run into 2 glitches. The first was being able to walk through the staircase in the first catacomb and not being able to go down and recieve the bow until the second try. The next glitch was when I died. I didn't spin around and instead "walked" myself dead. These are minor and to tell you the truth, I don't give a damn.

I own every single NES remake for the GBA except Xevious. I have no clue what the hell that is but I'd buy it anyway. They have proven themselves to be worthy in my book. It is just a glorifull experience to play old masteripeices on latter-day respectable gaming equipment such as the GBA and SP! :!!!!:
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

Dude why put one 8 bit game on a cartridge and slap a $20.00 price tag on it ???

I mean these games kick a-s-s but this price sucks ass.
A glitch?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I couldn't agree more. I did get ripped off. But like weed these are. Gawd, I can't live without NES goods.

Post by Guest »

No, I got ripped off, I'm the one who paid. The prices suck!
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

Well At rhino the other day i was trading in a game and Super Sonic was buying Ice Climbers (a true classic) well we see it for $10.00 there for NES and look over. say there it is for $20.00 on GBA. well If I only owned a NES. :foshizzle: :eatsmile: :moonbus:
A glitch?

Post by Guest »

Der...what did that have to do with anything? :spin:
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

Arce it had to do with the prices of the remakes and how they have it for half the price right over ther.
A glitch?

Post by Guest »

I meant: What did that have to do with the TOPIC?

I guess your just too stupid to understand the question, so I had to repeat the question in an easier form. :(|):