Beat Hazard

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Beat Hazard

Post by epicasian »

Video:

(I got a song off of JFAC's newest album :DD, but I prefer the DOOM album)

Graphics
Very high quality sprites. There's not much to say here, as the game is mostly special effects.

Gameplay
This is basically a SHMUP, but different; but in a good way. This game is driven by your music. The faster the tempo, the more particle effects, and enemies show on screen. I can't really say what happens when you have a slow song, as I haven't tried it yet.

Effects
The effects completely blew my mind. It's a gigantic trance of particles and color! I've even lost my position on screen, due to the amount of color.

Story: NA

Conclusion
This is a great game full of awesome effects, and great gameplay. I really enjoy the fact that the actual gameplay changes with every song. Definitely worth the $10 it's for.

Graphics: 10/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Effects: 10/10
Story NA
Conclusion: 9/10
Overall: 9.5/10
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: top down shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: ps3
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Re: Beat Hazard

Post by WSPSNIPER »

nice, i love JFAC!
Albionremain
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: Beat Hazard

Post by Albionremain »

I used to play Audiosurf... but after purchasing Beat Hazard I haven't launched Audiosurf in months.

Beat Hazard is extremely addicting, I love experimenting with different kinds of music to see the results in game. The best results I've seen come from any dubstep, drum n' bass and acoustic musics. Pendulum is one of my favorites to play to... but as Arce can attest Alanis Morissette wasn't a joke either, haha. A typical Beat Hazard session for me includes hooking up my two polk 6x9s, my MTX sub box, a 1000w amp, hooking it all into my AC -> DC power converter and plugging the audio in on the amp to the back of my computer... giving someone the mouse/keyboard and I take the other.
"Oh, it works... just not the way anyone wants or expects it to."