Sonic Mega Collection Plus (PS2)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Sonic Mega Collection Plus (PS2)

Post by Falco Girgis »

I just got this game for Christmas. I've never played the original mega collection for Gamecube, so I don't really have any grounds for comparison.

I'd just like to start off by thanking SEGA for doing something so right. First off, the game was rightfully priced at only $20 brand new. Not only does it have (I think) all genesis Sonic games, but also has several other non-Sonic Genesis games and the major GameGear Sonic titles.

The game also features comic book scans, instruction manuals, and other goods. All the games and goods are manipulated by a user-friendly and attractive menu. There are also things like Sonic Heroes bloopers and junk.

The emulation of the Genesis is nice and smooth, but you can tell that they're having problems with the sound system like with the DC scene. Ever now and again, like the sign at the end of levels in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the sound had to be changed. If you hold down and repetitively push A charging up for a super spin, the game makes some sort of wierd crusting noise.

Actually, I think our homebrew emulation of GameGear on the DC was better than what they used here. Every now and again the framerate will drop, but it's still no biggie.

Something that I freaking loved is that you can save your state. That's right, if I save jumping in mid-air, turn of the PS2, turn it back on and load I'll still be in mid-air.

Sonic Mega Collection Plus and MegaMan Anniversary Collection are both games that any gamer had better own.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

The one for gamecube is almost exactly like what you described EXCEPT there are no slowdowns or sound problems... smooth perfect running. Also, saveing a gamestate is not an option... at least I don't think it is.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

What, I only said the slowdowns existed in the GameGear games, which your mega collection doesn't have. (pwnt)

So you're telling me the only difference is that yours doesn't have some minor sound problems in the Genesis games.

You don't have state saving, comic book scans, manual scans, gamegear games, one less genesis game, and the non-sonic Genesis games.

So basically my Mega Collection is better than yours. ^_^

(pwnt)
Tvspelsfreak
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

GyroVorbis wrote:What, I only said the slowdowns existed in the GameGear games, which your mega collection doesn't have. (pwnt)

So you're telling me the only difference is that yours doesn't have some minor sound problems in the Genesis games.

You don't have state saving, comic book scans, manual scans, gamegear games, one less genesis game, and the non-sonic Genesis games.

(pwnt)
I own Sonic Jam. PWNT! :mrgreen:
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

SEGA is so cool.
A glitch?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Tvspelsfreak wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:What, I only said the slowdowns existed in the GameGear games, which your mega collection doesn't have. (pwnt)

(pwnt)
I own Sonic Jam. PWNT! :mrgreen:
Yes, PWNT. XD

I bought that game because I couldn't afford Sonic Jam on ebay..
Don't say that word!
Hyper Shadow wrote: SEGA is so cool.
AMEN!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

(pwnt)
Uhhhh... you wish fool. I mean that mine has everything yours does INCLUDING all the manuals and extras and no slow downs. I just don't have the save state... which I wouldn't care for anyway. Its a sign of weakness. :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

YOU wish fool.

You don't have gamegear games, you have one less Sonic Title, and 3 less Genesis titles.

You think they just call it "Mega collection PLUS" when it isn't better than the original? You have to be kidding.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I forgot, was gamegear that handheld thing that guzzled gas like nobodies buisness (batter power that is).
Tvspelsfreak
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

JSL: Yes, it was.

GV: Sonic Adventure DX for GC includes all 12 sonic games for game gear. (Not the game you were talking about, but still) :wink:
Btw, what are the missing games?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

There was like "Ooze", "Comix Zone", "Flicky", and I think a few others.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

They have Flicky on the GC version. Not those other ones though.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!