Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (GBA)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (GBA)

Post by Falco Girgis »

My brother got that game for Christmas. So far, my play time is about 2 and a half hours.

From what I see, I like.

Has anybody here besides me played the Donkey Kong Country remake for the GameBoy Color? I think that they remade it again because the GBC version was way too limited.

First off, neither the DKC nor DKC2 remakes for GBA have as good graphics as the SNES. That's a little dissappointing considering the GBA is 32-bit and the SNES is only 16-bit.

The colors just aren't as vivid and lush. At times certain effects have been taken away like sparkling crystals in the background of cave levels. Music is generally the same or better, but sound isn't. Maybe because the GBA couldn't handle it, or because they wanted to "upgrade" sound. Sometimes it's better, and others you want the classic sounds.

I think gameplay is the same, or better for GBA. There are LOTS of extras in both remakes. Although the graphics aren't as good, there are lots of little cutsie graphical effects that make it look much better.

Also, I was so mad when I saw that you have to pay 2 tokens to save at Kong College in the second one. I gave up. Not only is saving free on the GBA, but you don't even save at Kong College and you can save anywhere.

Also, saving saves whether or not you got the halfway point in the level. Basically, if you get a game over it makes no difference because you can start back exactly where you were.

I really can't explain why the GBA versions are better, but just something about them I like. Maybe because such glory has been harnessed on a handheld? Seriously, go buy these. I await the third one.