Donkey Kong Country

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Donkey Kong Country

Post by Falco Girgis »

The other day I got this random urge to bust out Arce's SNES and play DKC. I don't really know why. Anyway, once I beat a level or so, I couldn't stop. For some crazy reason, I randomly got addicted.

Without me being able to resist, I randomly beat the first one and accidently started on DCK2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

I had forgotten how enjoyable these classics were from my childhood. The gameplay is revolutionary addicting. Actually, if you play it right, I think it feels almost like a Sonic title.

Anyway, I remember from my childhood just adoring those games. Look at the graphics, they're amazing. The sprites are so insanely detailed. Look at the snakes, they look real when they slither at you.

The music just makes the worlds come to life more and more. Gah, I just wanna play more and more.

Also, the games are damn hard.

To conclude, I'd just like to say how awesome RARE was for having an awesome character like Cranky Kong in the DKC series. Lemme give you a few quotes from the games that made me laugh my ass off.
Cranky Kong (Gameboy Color Remake) wrote: What? You call this 16-bit? Back in my day we only had 4 shades of grey, and we were happy then too!
Cranky Kong (DKC for SNES) wrote: I would invite you in my cabin, but we ran out of memory on this cartridge
Cranky Kong (DKC2 for SNES) wrote: Well I hope you young whippersnappers bought my game last year called Cranky Kong Country
Cranky Kong (DKC for SNES) wrote: You might of beaten the game, but I'm sure you missed all sorts of secrets. Why if it was me who did this, I'd of beaten the game in less than an hour with all secrets without losing a single life.
Cranky Kong (DKC2 for SNES) wrote: Yeah that game Killer Instinct (RARE was developing that at the same time as DKC2) is going to be complete rubbish because I'm not in it.
I haven't beaten DKC2, and I haven't even started DKC 3. I'll be sure to give you guys some more famous Cranky Kong quotes.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

Ah yes. The Donkey Kong games. I should get out my SNES and play them again. In fact, I think I will. :D
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Lemme know where you get.

The instant I beat King K. Rool on the first one, I tore it out of the SNES, and put in the second one and continued play as if it were the same game.

If I beat the second and don't have the third, I'll kill something. I need to run to Rhino Games real quick and buy "Dixies Triple Trouble".
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

AMAZING, your not going to beleive this, but I busted out Donky Kong Country just the day before last. That game is Awsome! It took me 2 hours to beat but that was caused by my need to find all the secrets. MAN!!!!!!!! I love the water level music!!!!!!!!!!

I also took a look at the box for the game it said this on the back:
* The most amazing 3-D graphics and incredible sound ever!

* The biggest Nintendo adventure yet at an incredible 32 megs!

* Starring Donkey Kong and introducing his sidekick, Diddy Kong!

* Battery-backed memory saves your progress!

*Over 100 levels, including tons of secrets and hidden bonus levels!
For a second there I thought they were going to start talking about its 50 bizzilion lines of code. :mrgreen:

But yeah, great game. If I had DK2, I'd be playing it now. But I'm not so sure about 3...... for somereason... it just wasn't fun. (played some at the store.)
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Donkey Kong Country was beautiful, just beautiful. It was all "nature-like".

The second of the trilogy was NOT beautiful. You're in ugly ships and swamplands. I don't think they tried to make the game pretty. It's more "badass" and serious.

From what I remember of the few times I rented the third, I loved it. How much had you played of DKC3?

I remember it had that beautiful nature that I longed for from DKC. I'm not sure, I just haven't played the third one in forever. I think I'm gonna buy it...
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

From what I remember of DKC3, and I might be wrong, was that you had to play as a huge retarded baby ape and some other random female chimp. AND, donkey and diddy kong were out of the picture. The levels I played (I think I rented it long ago) was this ugly indoor wooden place... no nature anywhere.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!