Lazy foo tutorials

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Randi
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Lazy foo tutorials

Post by Randi »

This is my review for http://lazyfoo.net/, one of the few SDL tutorials sites. I will be covering the tutorial section. I will be giving 5 things I like and dislike about the tutorials.

What I like about the tutorials:

- wide variety of topics
- is very good when first starting out
- provides examples for all platforms, you don't need to search around to find libraries
- provides source code and it works
- provides pictures of what he is talking about to clarify what he is saying

What I don't like about the tutorials:
- he sticks everything in one file, making it harder to go through the code, would like it better if he had files for each class
- he will explain some things very well, and then not explain something else in as good of detail.
- I find a lot of code for doing things that is not on topic, (for instance, in the tile section, he has a dot walking around the level, kinda annoying when going through the code)
- I don't like how he splits up the source document by class, functions, class functions.
- and the biggest thing is when I go to copy and paste code from the website (because its usually lost some where in the source) it goes on a single line so code gets commented out.

all in all I think I would recommend the site, I would rate it probably around 7/10, it could be improved upon.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Lazy foo tutorials

Post by thejahooli »

In my opinion it's good for learning SDL, bad for learning development. His code is not very well organised but he explains the use of SDL well enough for someone to know how to use it by themselves.
I'll make your software hardware.
Randi
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Randi »

I find the further along you go the less organised it gets, I had a tough time learning from it, I found myself reading the same thing over and over again
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Randi wrote:I find the further along you go the less organised it gets, I had a tough time learning from it, I found myself reading the same thing over and over again
me too, I mostly used the documentation, and specific tutorials that I needed on the net
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I totally agree with the points above, it's a good reference to get you started with SDL, it gets you using it and messing around with it, but it is very important that you understand how to structure your code properly, and adapt what lazyfoo has shown you, as opposed to simple copying and pasting, while a lack of clarity and inability to copy the code may seem like a drawback, some (like myself) find this a benefit, it gets you thinking, whilst not being stuck at square one when you're learning SDL

the best way to explain this site is "A site with well structured and organised tutorials, but a site which is flawed, but still very useful to people starting SDL" IMHO
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Scrye
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Euphoric Fantasy
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, XBOX360, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genesis
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Scrye »

Before I got a book, this would definitely be the one that set me on my path with SDL & OpenGL game development.
-
Agreed!
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: top down shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: ps3
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by WSPSNIPER »

i always thought they were great when i started, but i found SDLTutorials.com to fit my style more. Lazy foo has helped me a lot and i think you should take the stuff you learn and put it together yourself, not just copy and paste because you dont learn much that way.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

thejahooli wrote:In my opinion it's good for learning SDL, bad for learning development. His code is not very well organised but he explains the use of SDL well enough for someone to know how to use it by themselves.
This is true. I mainly find it as a good reference for "oh yeah, how do I do this again?" and find the parts of his code that use the functionality I need.
I at least have appreciated the site enough to donate on a couple occasions.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

Lazyfoo was helpfull at first when i was learning SDL but later on i felt like i had sufficient knowledge and didn't read to much on some of the later things like multithreads :|
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step