Retro Games

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Retro Games

Post by Trask »

LeonBlade wrote:Retro games? Guitar Hero 2
Since LeonBlade hit the big 1-0 this past weekend, we'll let this one slide. :cheers:
Last edited by Trask on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I started at the PS1 era, I'm 18 now, so I was tad too young for the megadrive/SNES when they were out (perhaps if I had an older brother I may have been introduced at a younger age, alas I have a sister :lol: ) but I'm making up for my absence from the 16-bit era, I bought a SNES when I came to uni, and I have a bunch of games for that (Super mario world, starwing, lemmings, anything I can get my hands on!)

Very few new games appeal to me, they're a bit too story-heavy for me, what I mean by that is, there's WAY too much focus on story and the gameplay has suffered considerably, you need a good balance, or awesome gameplay on it's own to appeal to me personally, the PS1/N64 provided a good balance IMHO.

EDIT: also, I'd like to add, 3D pre-rendered sprites (I'm thinking Donkey Kong Country) are awesome, they really give games that 16-bit retro feel that won't find on ANY other generation of consoles :mrgreen:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

programmerinprogress wrote:I started at the PS1 era, I'm 18 now, so I was tad too young for the megadrive/SNES when they were out
Haha, you're the same age as me and I started with NES and Atari 2600. You must've been more up-to-date with the new trends than I was. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

That's nothing, I got way more up my sleeve.
Halo 2 like I don't even remember that game.
There's no place like ~/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I played that last weekend Leon! lol, and PIP I agree on the story line thing... I mean so many games that are pure story, all the RPGs now, well not all, but most RPGs that come out are all story line, and no gameplay, gimme some new mechanics that make me want to play! I DON'T WANT AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE!
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Oh one just came to my mind, it was like nostalgia big time!
Uh... you probably don't remember, it's pretty old. You guys remember Crysis?
LOL that game had such bad graphics :lol:
There's no place like ~/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

OOH OOH, have you guys seen that new game? Wolfenstein? CAN'T WAIT TILL I CAN GET MY HANDS ON THAT, its so realistic!
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

eatcomics wrote:I played that last weekend Leon! lol, and PIP I agree on the story line thing... I mean so many games that are pure story, all the RPGs now, well not all, but most RPGs that come out are all story line, and no gameplay, gimme some new mechanics that make me want to play! I DON'T WANT AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE!
I find that the problem is that they cannot get the right balance between the two. Some games are all story and no gameplay, and some are all gameplay and no story.
I'll make your software hardware.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

Sorry for reviving an old thread of mine, but I didn't deem it necessary to create a whole new thread just for the following question.

I've finally decided that playing games on emulators in nowhere near as fun as playing them on an actual console. For this reason I've decided to buy myself a N64 off of eBay. Would you guys consider a boxed used console with all leads and a controller for £35 (~$60) and used Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time from £5 to £10 (~8$ to $16) good deals.

EDIT: I think that this might be a better deal - Console with all leads, a controller, memory expansion pack and 3 games (F-Zero X, F1 World Grand Prix and Wave Race) for £35 (~$60). I'm don't really care about the games but considering I want to get both Donkey Kong 64 and Majora's Mask which both need the expansion pack, this seems like a better option to the one above.
I'll make your software hardware.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

thejahooli wrote:Because I'm only 13, and was born too late to experience gaming at it's best, I've missed out on some games which I wish I hadn't. I only started playing games a lot when I got my PS2 (with the exception of Pokemon Red and Silver). I always wished I had played some of the games from N64/PS1 period ,but I never got around to it.

But now I'm planning on playing through some of the games from then. But which games would you recommend playing through. I can't play through all of the games that were good so I want to know which ones you would consider I have to play.
wise decision sir, now a days theres this call of duty crap its the same garbage rehashed and given a facelift, the past is where things are at id recomend you get the spyro games on PS i thought those were fun as well as for the N64 heres my list

Super Mario 64
LOZ:
Ocarina Of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Smash bros.
Golden Eye
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Starfox64

and the list goes on.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step