Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

Post by Marx Chaotix »

As the previous Sonic the Hedgehog game I wish to pass yet another review up on this wondrous gem in the sack of Sonic the Hedgehog treasures. This game has shown not only that Sonic can maintain it's fast paced action but can also undergo some evolutionary changes. As Sonic jumps from yet another gaming cartridge and onto your screen watch out!! Another review is on the way!

Storyline: 9.5/10

In this Sonic the Hedgehog game Sonic Team has begun to get more involved in storyline development this time placing our lil blue hero Sonic into his own world called, "Mobius" inhabited with a multitude of little furry critters renowned as, "Flickies". However, the peace has yet more been disturbed as the all-time famous antagonist Dr. Robotnik(who assumes many other aliases such as Eggman, or Julian Kintobor)this time by entrapping these furry creatures into his mechanical monsters threatening yet more with absolute world domination. And is introducing more weaponry for more intimidating as well as dangerous. He this time encircles the luscious green and blue planet with a collusive space station called the "Death Egg" quite literally created in his own image with a new badnik in store and with a new agenda, "Destroy that hedgehog!". He introduces Silver Sonic a mechanical counterpart of Sonic in hopes of ridding of that blue menace. And Sonic Team has added an additional side-kick to fly to Sonic's aid. Miles 'Tails' Prower a tragically orphaned little yellow twin-tailed fox with a specialty for flying and a knack for adventure. This is definitely an advancement in Sonic's evolution of gameplay!

Graphics: 9.2/10

Another large change that can clearly be seen in this new action-packed game would definitely have to the graphical enhancements. After releasing this game and porting it to the Genesis you can clearly see as they have implemented much more into this game's visuals by handing the badniks far more intimidating detail and much more stunning affect. You can see more greenery defining the nature-like affect of Green Hill Zone. Or the more spacious outlook on aboard the Death Egg. And you can see the ground-breaking detail of Silver Sonic as he lunges himself at you in effort of insuring Sonic's demise. This game was probably ahead of it's time back in the classical nostalgic days of Sonic.

Music/ Sound affects: 9.5/10

Perhaps one of the most notable features aside from game-play in this game would have to be the music for it's time! This game definitely delivers a slap in the face to all Nintendo fans as this game's music shows that consoles can definitely port their very own music creating a much better atmosphere during gameplay. Two very great examples would have to be the astounding spacious music of the Death Egg creating appalling suspense to the audience. I actually recall being somewhat frightened as a kid when I was at this stage hearing this sci-fi mix-up of music. And finally the famous music played at the end of game as Sonic and his side-kick leave the wreckage of the Death Egg behind and fly off into the horizon as more adventures await them...

Gameplay/Replay: 10/10

Okay, okay, okay, I know I know... I am trying to pass as little of an unbiased rating on this as possible by MY GOD this game was just TOO awesome to deprive it's gameplay any lesser of a ten. I mean the question isn't what's good about this game but, rather more what 'isn't'? This game is any Sonic fanboy's dream. An extremely fast paced game as you race through the levels destroying all badniks. And atop of this Sonic Team has implemented revolutionary ground-breaking advances in this game. They have given' Sonic his all-time famous, "Sonic Spin-Dash" attack. Allowing him to spin into a speedy ball and rocket off into his enemies smashing everything in his path alongside a two-player option where you can play as Sonic's trusy side-kick Miles, (AKA Tails) as he has the ability of spinning his two tails at a rapid speed allowing him to hover above the ground picking up Sonic to carry him to out of reach areas. Many Sonic fanboys are highly disputed over whether or not this is perhaps the greatest Sonic game of all time. And to be honest with you I don't blame them. If you were to play this game you'd definitely know what I mean. And one of the biggest things in this game was the introduction of a seventh additional Chaos Emerald and Super Sonic. This ability to transform was highly sought after by Sonic gamers.

Overall: 9.5/10

This game in my personal opinion was perhaps better than the 1st one but, I still highly regard the previous one to be nearly just as good! ^_^ Props to Sonic Team and their amazing ability to create awesome nostalgic games that will certainly be remembered for generations to come!
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

Post by Lord Pingas »

Sonic 4 better be like this game. :evil: