Starcraft II: Beta

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

quickshot14
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: VB.NET Direct X Game Engine (Working Title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: VB.NET (for now)

Re: Starcraft II: Beta

Post by quickshot14 »

Live-Dimension wrote:The catch is that there's apparently going to be a battlenet market place, where you can 'buy' maps/mods/etc... which I assume blizzard takes a cut.
Yeah there is something in there about it, and I dont want to recall from memory or give false information, I was lucky enough to see blizzcon (throught the pay-per-view online, was a birthday present for my wife) and I did get a chance to see the battle.net panel and they talked about the market fairly pretty in-depth. I found a great youtube link that shows the panel pretty much in its entirety that was put up by sclegacy.com heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ItZfu9zAc its a total of 14 parts that is the link to part one. I'd suggest everyone whos curious, worried, or wonders how its roughly going to work take a look at that panel, it also gives a basic idea of how battle.net is changing and how will be able to communicate (a lot like steam) bewteen blizzard games even if your playing SC2 and i'm playing WoW and vica-versa.

One more thing before you go watch, one they we KNOW pretty much for sure, is battle.net will not become or be another steam, for multiple developers, it will basicly be steam just for blizzard games is the best way to think of it, so comparing it to steam on a whole isn't the best comparssion fyi. Hope that helps, can't wait for sc2 :)
Amatuer Game Design/Programmer & College Student (Kaplan University: Associate of Applied Sceince in Information Technology: Application Devleopment)
Know Programming Languages & Considered Levels Of Programming in them: Basic(DOS) - 10%, VB(Legacy) - 15%, VB.NET - 55%, C/C++ - 1%, C# - 1%, LUA - 25%, Java - 0%, COBOL - 0%
Quicks14Blog (My Gaming Related Blog Page) - My Youtube Channel Page
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

I really enjoyed the beta. Particularly some of the balance changes for Terran. I like what they've done with the buildings, command center, as well as the new/redone air units!

Zerg really feel like so much more of a "swarm" when you play, which is pretty cool. You can select up to 120 units simultaneously (5 subgroups of 24), so a zergling rush is pretty goddamn intense. I liked a few map components, such as "Rich Minerals" (more effective to mine), and how you start off with 5 units rather than 4 (which all mine only 5 minerals at a time, keep in mind). It's pretty cool how they tried to give the base building (Hive, Command Center, Nexus) more value.

I confess I have not yet played as Protoss, though am really looking forward to being impressed. They supposedly gave Pylons more value (as you can warp certain units from Pylon to Pylon) much in the same way they gave Zerg creep more value. It's actually kinda cool the way that you need to manually spread your creep as zerg through overlord, queen, or hatchery.

THOUGH I WILL MISS MY GODDAMN LURKERS. WTF BLIZZARD!?
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Arce wrote:THOUGH I WILL MISS MY GODDAMN LURKERS. WTF BLIZZARD!?
I WILL MISS MY GODDAM SCOUTS. Lethal when handled properly. ~<3 Give Protoss a run-down and tell me/us how it is, I'm very interested.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Lol I haven't tried protoss either, I plan on doing that soon, but I wanna master terran first :D
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

Live-Dimension wrote:I WILL MISS MY GODDAM SCOUTS. Lethal when handled properly. ~<3 Give Protoss a run-down and tell me/us how it is, I'm very interested.
Wait, what? People only use scouts for humiliation in proleague.
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Bakkon wrote:
Live-Dimension wrote:I WILL MISS MY GODDAM SCOUTS. Lethal when handled properly. ~<3 Give Protoss a run-down and tell me/us how it is, I'm very interested.
Wait, what? People only use scouts for humiliation in proleague.
Since when can I do SC hardcore like that? :P
Arce

Post by Arce »

Scouts can be a legit counter to an air rush (terran Battlecruiser, guardians) though you'd need a healthy unit mix.

Overall, though, I do think scouts were due for an overhaul...=)

Again, I'm just really pleased with the new Terran. Love upgradable bunkers!! :lol:

I always felt that Terran was at a disadvantage, as Protoss and Zerg could fill their base with Photon Cannons and Sunken Colonies, then send all units to attack. Whereas poor Terran required defensive units in bunks, meaning not as large of attacks. With a 200 unit max, this came into play more than I'd have liked...

Though I guess it did always make terran more "tactical." I just didn't like the fact that it was forced. XD
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

If any of you are in the legit beta, hit me up when you get a friend invite, pleeeeaaase.
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

I would you seem hella cool, but I used mine :(
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Just got my beta invite woooooo. Downloading the client now.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)

Post by xiphirx »

Oh, not sure if you guys know, Preorder SC2 at GameStop, get a beta key.

I just want to wait and see if my luck is out of a ditch though :(
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

When does this game hit stores? I plan on buying it, but I'm not paying retail... I hate paying retail.... anyways, I'm gonna try and get into beta, I'll hit you up if I get in, my friend signed up and got in the next day lol
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)

Post by xiphirx »

eatcomics wrote:When does this game hit stores? I plan on buying it, but I'm not paying retail... I hate paying retail.... anyways, I'm gonna try and get into beta, I'll hit you up if I get in, my friend signed up and got in the next day lol
Heh, they just announced that! July 27th.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/pr ... tml?100503

I really want that collectors edition D:
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I played StarCraft two a handful of times on Arce's comp. =p I think it's a really great looking game so far through beta perspective but, I am a bit upset that they took out or completely replaced a few of the units (particularly the lurkers >_<) I only got the time to play through zerg (though I'm more of a protoss/terran person). I'm sure it'll all balance out with all the other insane changes haha! But, either way it looks amazing and the graphics are similar in comparison to Warcraft 3 the frozen throne. I also really like the idea of having the yellow minerals for a swifter mining (I now know where all the major battles will be taking place on the maps =p lol everyone will be wanting their damned minerals) Either way I want the actual game so badly and I'm getting sorta pissed off with all the freakin' delays and the way they taunt you with their betas. >_< GR!
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

I got into the starcraft 2 beta and I am in the Platnium ( Now Diamond ) league which is the top league so I at least have some ability to comment on the game and what it is like to play at higher levels. Firstly a lot of starcraft is just having fun with friends and that component is still in the game you can just have fun and play crazy builds. But for ladders it is really competitive and you have to be able to react quickly to your opponent and have a strong foundation with RTS. I currently play at around 150 APM (Actions Per Minute ) which is about 2.5 actions per second. Starcraft 2 punishes you for taking too long to think you have to react quickly like all other real time strategies. I think in sc2 they have found a very good balance between micro and macro. Micro was more important in sc1 than sc2 but in sc2 they have taken some real time to plan out how these mechanics should work. If you just rely on macro play you will play a solid game but will loose at upper levels. If you play just a micro game you will loose. If you play both very well you will be a high tier player. In Korea they actually play starcraft as a sport which is crazy. Anyway I am having a lot of fun with it so far.