Guitar Hero 5

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Guitar Hero 5

Post by Pickzell »

kamokow wrote:
Bludklok wrote:
Pickzell wrote:Blur - "Song 2" Who?
How the hell do you not know this song?
Yea, It kind of surprises me how he actually doessn't know this song >_>
Looked it up. Yeah, I'd heard it, but forgot it. It's been a long time since I've listened to that type of music.
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

Pickzell wrote:Looked it up. Yeah, I'd heard it, but forgot it. It's been a long time since I've listened to that type of music.
It's been a long time since you've listened to the type of music that's generally in Guitar Hero games and you're giving a "review" on it. Please stop posting.
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

You say that you only played the game for 5 minutes, and somehow think that puts you in a place to rate it???

It seems like all you have done is given a big list of songs along with some opinionated writing commenting on the songs very briefly and obscurely. Obviously the music is one of the things that makes guitar hero what it is. There is an expectation that people who buy the game will do so because they like some of the songs in it, thats not to say that the music is relevant to the game-play. You could have nothing but Britney Spears songs and guitar hero would be the same game, in fact a version of guitar hero like that would probably still have an audience.

If you want to review a game I think guitar hero is a pretty bad choice. A big enjoyment factor of the game is the music and this makes peoples opinions of the different versions fairly subjective. If you want to be opinionated talk about your views as guitar hero as a franchise, if you want to be more objective deconstruct and critique the different gameplay mechanics in the game.

A typical review of guitar hero as I see it should go something like this;
Opinion
The guitar hero franchise is pretty shameless, they essentially release the same game over and over with a different set of music that appeals to a different demographic. Lowest common denominator marketing at it's best. I was pretty revolted to find out a DJ hero was coming out... Now you can pretend to be a poser pretending to be a musician in order to get laid like so many DJs out there...
Bring it into Perspective and talk a little about Game-play
That said, even though the 'hero' franchise has been obviously milking the market for all it's worth by releasing such a variety of games, there's almost guaranteed to be one that will in some way appeal to you, based purely on your musical taste alone.
The game-play in guitar hero hasn't really changed much from the first version, this can be both good and bad. When guitar hero was first released it's game-play wasn't exactly spectacular, 'tap on the plastic guitar in time with the music', barely constitutes a game. This sort of gameplay is more reminiscent of pokey machines with their positive feedback loop, and bright sparkly colours (so pretty) then any legitimately unique, appealing or interesting games. You are encouraged to keep playing to beat high scores and achieve leader board status. There is a social aspect, but this goes back more to the music then anything else. Its obviously that playing along with a song that you like is where the real appeal of this game lays, it adds to the immersion of the song... Oh and you can make believe that your a rock star the same way a four year old little girl plays house. However the changes in guitar hero games from one to another on a gameplay mechanics level have all been rather menial, to the point where if you have played one you have played them all. You should not buy more then one of these games, and really if there was more support for 'downloading' or getting new songs without having to buy a new game then the creators would have only made one or two games in the first place.
Summarize
There has and always will be a market for guitar hero. It appeals to people to be able to listen to their music and feel more immersed (why do you think people start playing air guitar in the middle of songs). However as far as a game goes guitar hero appeals on a sole addictive, "arcade style beat the score" level. Don't go putting your money into more then 1 of these games, wait a few years till the developers actually conceive something legitimately new and not a game that feels like it should be a patch. There is a reason why there have been little to no changes to guitar hero since it's conception, and why each game does little to innovate. RedOctane stumbled across a winner, and there is a growing mentality in the bigger games industry that goes along the lines of why change the winning formula. Let's be honest, from a marketing perspective guitar hero is an insanely successful product, but just like with blockbuster movies, the more sequels you add the more lackluster the franchise looks as a whole.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

zeid wrote: pretend to be a poser pretending to be a musician
I'm the dude playin' a dude disguised as another dude!
Oh yeah, and nice post, /agree, etc.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

In the topic of Guitar Hero, should I get game only Guitar Hero 3 for £12/$20 and does it work with the guitar from Guitar Hero 4.
I'll make your software hardware.
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

thejahooli wrote:In the topic of Guitar Hero, should I get game only Guitar Hero 3 for £12/$20 and does it work with the guitar from Guitar Hero 4.
I doubt it. Worth a try though.
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

thejahooli wrote:In the topic of Guitar Hero, should I get game only Guitar Hero 3 for £12/$20 and does it work with the guitar from Guitar Hero 4.
Pretty sure all the Guitar Hero games are compatible with your guitar. It's compatibility between Guitar Hero and Rock Band you have to worry about.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

Bakkon wrote:Pretty sure all the Guitar Hero games are compatible with your guitar. It's compatibility between Guitar Hero and Rock Band you have to worry about.
I decided to google this in case I felt like getting rock band and it seems that Guitar Hero controllers work with Rock Band 2 but not Rock Band 1.
I'll make your software hardware.