Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

This game is awesome!!!

story- so far I'm enjoying the story, I'm about 15 and a half hours in and I've heard the game is about 300 hours long and that doesn't surprise me. The story starts when a child who loves final fantasy finds a book that puts the user in whatever world they want to go into. he and his town are sucked into the world and he meets a moogle and starts a clan in order to return back to the normal world and save this one.

sound-great as always, it truly shows what the gba is capable of.

graphics-beautiful sprites, beautiful tiles, sweet animations theres lots of variation. sweet.

gameplay- as the 'tactics' part of the title suggests this game is a grid based battle rpg (a genre I love personally- check out phantom brave and the other ff tactics games). I think pretty much all the final fantasy staples are in the game; classes, summons, magic, shops etc. you progress through the game by taking on missions which are essentially battles with big rewards in both gil and items. by playing through these missions you progress through the story and I think there are a couple of hundred missions so there is a lot of life in it. the game is kept fresh through the accumulation of new items, weapons and magic, the hiring of new characters of different classes and races and the expanding and customisable world. the world map is covered in spaces for locations and as you progress you gain more locations which can be placed almost wherever you want on the world map.

If you can find the game for a decent price I recomend you grab it. Its brilliant especially the fact that it suits quick ten minute blasts as you can play through a quick battle or mission whenever you want and its a lot of fun.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Post by hurstshifter »

ChrissyJ91 wrote:This game is awesome!!!

story- so far I'm enjoying the story, I'm about 15 and a half hours in and I've heard the game is about 300 hours long and that doesn't surprise me. The story starts when a child who loves final fantasy finds a book that puts the user in whatever world they want to go into. he and his town are sucked into the world and he meets a moogle and starts a clan in order to return back to the normal world and save this one.

sound-great as always, it truly shows what the gba is capable of.

graphics-beautiful sprites, beautiful tiles, sweet animations theres lots of variation. sweet.

gameplay- as the 'tactics' part of the title suggests this game is a grid based battle rpg (a genre I love personally- check out phantom brave and the other ff tactics games). I think pretty much all the final fantasy staples are in the game; classes, summons, magic, shops etc. you progress through the game by taking on missions which are essentially battles with big rewards in both gil and items. by playing through these missions you progress through the story and I think there are a couple of hundred missions so there is a lot of life in it. the game is kept fresh through the accumulation of new items, weapons and magic, the hiring of new characters of different classes and races and the expanding and customisable world. the world map is covered in spaces for locations and as you progress you gain more locations which can be placed almost wherever you want on the world map.

If you can find the game for a decent price I recomend you grab it. Its brilliant especially the fact that it suits quick ten minute blasts as you can play through a quick battle or mission whenever you want and its a lot of fun.

My biggest problem with this game was the Laws System. I mean, great idea and everything for a new aspect to the turn based strategy system, but come on, NO ATTACKING?! Some of these laws just got wayy out of hand.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

yeah definetely a negative aspect. I agree its an interesting idea and encourages you to take different aproaches to battles but it can be a pain. I had a really lame law the other day actually it was a law against swords which made half of my characters useless, that was a really boring mission.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

Yet another game I have yet to play. Thankfully I can borrow this game from my girlfriend and give it a try. I really enjoyed playing the first tactics but I just never got around to playing the others. It's a shame really.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

I found it fun but I really liked the PSP and PS1 version of tactics... I never really made it that far though...
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

I found it fun but I really liked the PSP and PS1 version of tactics... I never really made it that far though...
I'm still looking for a PS1 version but most of my money is being saved for other stuff; driving lessons and the occasional beer.
I'm not really that far into the game but I'm making occasional progress in the game. I recently got the ds sequel (in name alone lol) and I'm going to review it once I've put in enough time.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

ChrissyJ91 wrote:
I'm still looking for a PS1 version but most of my money is being saved for other stuff; driving lessons and the occasional beer.
I'm not really that far into the game but I'm making occasional progress in the game. I recently got the ds sequel (in name alone lol) and I'm going to review it once I've put in enough time.
*cough*iso*cough* ...
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

:lol:
Big Grizzle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: 2d side scrolling shooter.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: The SNES rules all!!! Super Aleste baby!
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by Big Grizzle »

I enjoyed it, but I was annoyed that I was unable to get all of the necessary items to unlock all of the end game dungeons.

The missions go through cycles, so in theory I should have just needed to keep playing, but after a while I stopped seeing missions that rewarded me with the needed items and the same missions that I couldn't do because I was missing said items kept turning up.

After many many hours of doing this I realised that...

A) The missions were never going to appear.

and

B) My characters were so powerful that the end game missions would have been far too easy now to be enjoyable.

I have since gave my GB Advance to my Mum along with Tetris.

Definitely worth checking the game out though. I'd give it an 8/10.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
http://caveofgrizzle.blogspot.com/
Spikey
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Spikey »

I think I played about 5 hours and never touched it again... Being a fan of the original Tactics for PlayStation, this game pales in comparison. I like the graphics and music, but that's about it... The art style is way too kiddy for me, the story is not engrossing nor interesting, and the Law feature is just stupid IMO. I have some friends who love this game, but it just doesn't float for me. The original FFT will always be in my favorite list though.
Protimus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Game Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by Protimus »

Spikey wrote:I think I played about 5 hours and never touched it again... Being a fan of the original Tactics for PlayStation, this game pales in comparison. I like the graphics and music, but that's about it... The art style is way too kiddy for me, the story is not engrossing nor interesting, and the Law feature is just stupid IMO. I have some friends who love this game, but it just doesn't float for me. The original FFT will always be in my favorite list though.
My thoughts exactly.
Judge not a man by his language but by his use of the language.
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

I bought Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for the ds recently (I went on holiday to Italy and decided to buy a load of cheap ds games including this, a dragon quest game (can't remember the name only a few have been released over here though) and ff3). To be honest I'm rather disappointed by the game as it hasn't really drawn me to it. To be fair I haven't played hours into it like I have the original (tactics advance) and the game may grow on me. I expect I'll love it once I have finished tactics advance. I reckon I'll quickly end up finishing tactics advance now I've started college (already had two years of sixth form) and have a two hour bus journey to and from college.