NEW Super Mario Bros. DS

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Poolhustler
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

NEW Super Mario Bros. DS

Post by Poolhustler »

I just bought this game for the ds and love it. It just goes to show everyone the classic games never get old. It is the first side scrolling Mario game since Super Mario World. It has eight worlds, and 10-15 levels in each world, plus ghost houses, caves, towers and castles. You only need to beat six worlds to finish the game, but the other two are hidden. Like in Super Mario World where there was five dragon coins in each level, they have three star coins in this game. But unlike SMW, these coins serve a purpose. You need them to get to the other two worlds, unlock mushrooms houses and some levels. There alot harder to find too. I like how the game is 3d and has some moves in it like in the new 3d games like wall kicking. There are new weapons, There is mega Mario, where you get a mega mushrooms and can run through and break anything that gets in your way, and whatever damage you do fills in your mega bar and you get 1-ups depending how much damage you cause. Then there is tiny mario, where you shrink (Ya Think) and you can use him to go down tiny pipes, and run across water, and it is some of the ways to beat a level a different way and get star coins. Then there is shell mario where you have a blue koopa shell. It is works just like any shell does, and then there is the fire flower.
You can beat the main adventure in a few hours, but with the other two worlds and getting all the star coins will give you plenty of playing time. And like all side scrolling marios it has great replay value.
I just hope they make more like this. Even remake all the old 2d one would be great
"Time is an Illusion with a purpose." - Edgar Cacey
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Re: NEW Super Mario Bros. DS

Post by programmerinprogress »

I bought my girlfriend this for christmas!

I hear good things :)

I sometimes wish I owned a DS...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Location: Minnesota, where "Cold as Hell" has real meaning...

Post by mllarson »

That game is awesome. I love how the powerups, Koopa Troopas, and Goombas hop during the "Bah Bah" parts of the music.
"Mmmm... these paint chips are scrumptious!"
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I love this game, it made me fall in love with the DS and Mario again(didn't care for Mario 64, Sunshine...loved Galaxy though). I play it all the time. Actually, when I was freezing my nips off to preorder my Wii at Toys R Us, I ended up playing this game with someone else standing in line... fun times.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by mllarson »

Trask wrote:I love this game, it made me fall in love with the DS and Mario again(didn't care for Mario 64, Sunshine...loved Galaxy though). I play it all the time. Actually, when I was freezing my nips off to preorder my Wii at Toys R Us, I ended up playing this game with someone else standing in line... fun times.
I remember standing in line at midnight at Gamestop in November (in Minnesota) in shorts and a hoodie for an hour and a half to get my Halo 3 Legendary. Luckily it was 45 degrees out so it was still warm enough to not totally freeze my balls off.
Good times.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I liked Mario 64, quite a bit.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
KuramaYoko10
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by KuramaYoko10 »

I have this game for DS and I love it.... it is pretty fun playing it, and it presents a lot of new features when comparing to super mario world as poolhuster has pointed out!! :)

Ah... and the minigames are pretty fun too!!

Yay for Nintendo and the Mario Series :lol:
Type a message here!!
[b][color=#BF0000]MarauderIIC[/color][/b] wrote:"Never" is never true in programming.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Man I wish I hadn't broken my ds and lost mario now...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Given Nintendo's history of making a million sequels until we want to kill ourselves, I'm thoroughly surprised that we haven't seen or heard of "New Super Mario Bros 2."

They make sequels up the ass of games we hate. But not the ones we like? I want to ride Yoshi, I want to see feathers, yellow capes, leafs, racoon tails, frog suit.

NSMB was great as the first one, but they're still missing so many enjoyable mechanics from the franchise. I still think Mario 3 and Mario World are more enjoyable because of that.
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by mllarson »

I wish they'd make another Mario with a ton of levels, even more than Mario World. One where there is a perfect balance between Fire Flowers and Cape / Feather / whatever. Fire flowers were hard to come by in Mario World.
KuramaYoko10
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by KuramaYoko10 »

mllarson wrote:I wish they'd make another Mario with a ton of levels, even more than Mario World. One where there is a perfect balance between Fire Flowers and Cape / Feather / whatever. Fire flowers were hard to come by in Mario World.
Well... at least at the New Super Mario for the DS they feauture a lot of diferent and cool levels, and most of them, I guess, with fire flowers in tubes xD :)

It is just missing the capes and yoshi and stuff like that as in the mario world for the snes!!

Ah... and the only thing that I dont like about the new one is the "bosses" and "baby bowser", which are too easy to beat and basically is the exact same thing on all of them (you have to jump 3 timeso n tehir heads lol)... on the mario world the bosses were very different and fun to beat xD

I still recommend other people to buy it though xD
Type a message here!!
[b][color=#BF0000]MarauderIIC[/color][/b] wrote:"Never" is never true in programming.