Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Hyozan
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

Post by Hyozan »

Action

When I first learned of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, I was pretty excited. I even preordered it ( which I almost never do ) from my local GameStop.

Well, turns out Lucas Arts did a pretty good job. The game has a unique storyline that entices and draws the player in, albeit a bit predictable. The voice acting is not bad; some of the best I've heard in a while. The graphics are quite impressive: great level design and particle effects further draw you into your role as the dark lord's apprentice. The physics used in the game allow for just about whatever you can think up. Like when you use 'Force Grab' on an enemy: be it throwing storm troopers into one another, throwing them thousands of feet into the air and watching them plumet to their death, or slamming a jetpack-riding-trooper into the floor ( my personal favorite. ) The lightsaber combos and other force powers combine to make a powerful, and highly entertaining arsenal at your fingertips.

On the other hand, the targeting when using 'Force Grab' is finicky, and is hard to get used to and have fun with. Not to mention there are a couple of bugs, and at times the game seems to run like molasses due to some obvious performance issues.

If you own a PS3 my advice is this: rent before you buy. It's a great game, but completed quickly. The replay value is decent, being that you can keep your characters powers, but still frustrating with the difficult targetting system and sometimes buggy gameplay.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

Post by Trask »

I have this on the 360 and I heard the PS3 trigger buttons aren't as responsive as the 360's are, but I never compared the two.

I am a huge Star Wars fan and I really enjoyed this game. I went nuts and read the graphic novel and the novel, I like the story. It's no KOTOR, but it's good in it's own right. I thought the game itself was challenging yet fun to play, I never really felt that the gameplay was repetitive enough to bore me. It was the first game in a long time to hand my ass to me until I got some key upgrades.

Oh, it was also fun to go through with different skins on like Palpatine... good times.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

Post by OmegaGDS »

I got this for psp, and it has to be the best game for the psp (other than some rpgs). I played it for ps3 at my friends house and found that the psp version does a pretty good job of keeping up with console. The only thing is that there are apparently slightly different storylines depending on which console or device you get it for.