Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

Post by Karkash »

Graphics: 8.5/10

Compared to what DS is capable of, it's not that great. It's definitely not bad though. It's 2D. Nice sprite animations. Typical Akira Toriyama style that Dragon Quest is known for.

Gameplay: 8.0/10

Pretty fun. Eventually gets very repetitive. You switch between exploring areas and doing tank battles. The 100 inhabitants of Slimenia have been slimenapped. You are the only one left so you must get them back. You are a slime and what you mainly do is slam into things and then catch them and carry them around on your head. You can hold three things at once. While exploring you gather things and throw them on train carts that are scattered through areas. The carts take them to Slimenia where creatures and slimes become citizens and objects become ammo for your tank. In tank gameplay, ammo comes out of chutes and you run around gathering it and throwing it into the tank's guns which shoot it at the enemy while they do the same to you. Also, enemy monsters will sometimes invade your tank. You can also have a crew of up to three people. Crew members each have two tactics that you can choose from for them to do like heal you, help with ammo, sabotage enemy tank, etc. To win, when the enemy tank reaches 0hp you run across the battlefield and attack the core of their tank. They attempt to do the same to you. It's fun enough until you have three tank battles in a row. There's extra stuff like Tank Masters with a slime version of Morrie (Ragazzo!). There is also a museum where if you send 30 of a type of monster to the town a statue of it will appear there and if you examine it that monster becomes available as a crew member. I did a lot of the extra stuff but it wasn't really worth it. The gameplay is solid though, if a bit easy.

Sound: 9.0/10

Regular Dragon Quest stuff with some new songs. I love the theme for the bad guys. Very creative. I would suggest using headphones.

Overall 8.0/10

It's a cute little game. If you don't do the extra stuff it won't be as repetitive. And even being repetitive the game is short enough that you'll get over it. One other thing: puns. There are CONSTANT slime puns, and most are not funny. It's not that annoying, but after a while it just makes you roll your eyes. They take every single opportunity to throw slime, goo, blob, etc. into sentences. There's nothing really wrong with the game, it's just that it's so simple. If you like Dragon Quest go play it. At the least you'll enjoy the references to other Dragon Quest games.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Haha, I'm getting it.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Nice, honest review...Though I must say that I probably wouldn't be playing the game if I'd have read your review before I started.

I'm new to the whole dragon quest genre, so to me it's not repetitive at all. I'm loving it, and I think it's fun, and has an extremely unique game play.

I only just now had my 1st take battle a while ago, so I'm not exactly far enough into it to judge. ;P

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants an enjoyable, relaxing game. It's not too hard (atleast not to me) and I thought it was somewhat humorous (again, not far enough to see the overused slime puns yet?) It's one of those nice feeling games that I find myself playing when stressed out (similar role that Kirby's canvas curse played for me, IDK why, lol)
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Arce

Post by Arce »

Oh, yeah, and great job with the rating. That's exactly what I've have given it.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

yah i played it and it was fun for a while but it got boring to bad i made a promise at the beginning that i would save all he defensles slimes *sigh*
but yeah it was pretty good