Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

Post by Karkash »

Graphics: 8.5/10

Considering the game was originally for GBA, I think the graphics are pretty good. They aren't anything amazing, but I like them. It's all 2D with static environments but animated characters. Because of the nature of the game you don't really need more than that. Review sites complain about recycled art from the other games but it's really not an issue. The only things recycled are characters and places that show up from the past games. Why would they redo those? There are plenty of brand new characters and places so I'm not complaining. There are also new outfits for old characters in certain parts of the story.

Gameplay: 8.5/10

It's simple, but addictive. Honestly there's nothing new here, but there was no need to change the formula. You have the days in court where you cross-examine witnesses and present evidence, and then you have investigation days where you talk to people and search for clues. There are also the Psyche-locks from the second game. You do get to play as lawyers other than Phoenix, which is cool, but the gameplay remains the same.

Sound: 9.5/10

Other than the story, the music is the best thing about this game. I think it's amazing. In most games I barely notice the music or I might notice one particular song during a boss battle or something, but in all three Phoenix Wright games every single song is wonderful. I suppose it kind of takes over for the limited graphics. The music really helps set the mood and the themes for individual characters really fit them. The only thing is that they change the objection song in each game and I think the first one is the best. They do play a remix of it at one point in this game though, which made me happy.

Overall: 9/10

The story and the characters are the best part of this game to me. After playing all three games you feel like you really know these people. DO NOT play this game if you have not beaten the first two. This is the last game in the Phoenix Wright trilogy. This game is tying up all the story points from the previous games and makes many references to cases from those games. The game doesn't give you your time, but I'm guessing the game is about 15-20 hours long. There are five cases and the last case was the longest and I think it took me about 6-7 hours. I highly recommend these games to everyone. I'm now waiting for the fourth game which will feature Apollo Justice!
Last edited by Karkash on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tehl3374
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Tehl3374 »

This sounds like it would be a fun game. Especially considering that I'm in a mood for something that requires brains. 8-)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I've never really considered playing this game. I had no idea what it was about. After reading this, I'm considering buying all 3.

How does evidence gathering work?
Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Karkash »

It works several different ways. While you're wandering around crime scenes or whatever you can examine things and if it's important you'll add it to the court record. You can get evidence from people you talk to. Also the police will give you things like autopsy reports. Sometimes the prosecution will present evidence that you didn't know about and then it can go in the court record with your other evidence. Also sometimes you can give evidence to the police to have it analyzed for fingerprints or whatever and it will come back with updated information on it.