Okami Review

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Yikarso
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Okami Review

Post by Yikarso »

Well after 42ish hours of play, I finally beat it. Here's what I have to say.

Graphics 10/10: Simply beautiful. Okami is the best looking game out there in my opinion. An amazing art style, awesome particle effects, great animation.

Sound 10/10: Epic soundtrack. Great sound effects. There's no voice acting, but it doesn't have any negative effect on the game. Plenty of games are screwed up by poor voice acting anyways. It makes mumbly sounds that are different for each character. Kinda like Banjo Kazooie.. only not annoying and silly. I actually was so used to the mumbling by the end of the game that I just heard it as a different language.

Gameplay 10/10: Awesomesauceness. 15 different brush techs, and many of them can become more powerful. 15 different weapons (5 of each of the 3 types of weapons), holy items (which do random things like replenishing ink faster), and items that restore health and stuff. Oh and solar pieces *cough heart pieces*. Speaking of which, the gameplay resembles Zelda games a great deal. Very puzzle based with lots of dungeons.

Oh and combat is great too. Fast paced with lots of different things to do. Reflectors in mainhand offer medium ranged attacks and offer a shield in offhand. Rosaries act as a whip in main and a ranged attack in off. And glaives, my personal favorite, offer heavy close range damage with some nice special attacks in off. You can also use every brush technique in battle, and they all can help depending on the monster you're fighting and your environment. There are also 15+ different moves you can learn at the dojo including stuff like peeing on your enemies and dodging.

The gameplay is a bit easy. You're given plenty of restore items and plenty of ways to keep yourself from dieing, and plenty to bring you back once you die. Most enemies do minor amounts damage as well. I never actually died in the game. (speaking of which, don't, you unlock something at the end if you have 0 deaths) The easiness isn't a turn off though. You're a goddess, it makes sense for you to own everyone :D

Story 10/10: In my opinion, this is the best part of Okami. I've never played an action RPG with a story that rivals the best turn-based RPG's out there. It's an emotional game with lots of really funny parts and some parts that will make you cry if you allow it. The story is amazing, lots of twists and the best ending I've ever seen in a game. It'll also take you 30-60 hours to get through the game. (depending on if you go straight through or do everything there is to do)

Final Score omgstarSRANK10++/10: This game is perfect. There were many times when I thought "It would be great if this were in the game" and later encountered exactly what I was hoping for. The game exceeded my expectations. If you have a PS2, you must get this game. Until a few days ago, my all time favorite game was still Ocarina of Time. Okami is my new official favorite game. Play it.

Oh and lots of unlockables :D

(If you've read my reviews, you've probably noticed I always tend to give high 9's or a perfect 10. It's not because I'm easy to please. I just don't review a game unless it's perfect or at least close to it.)

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Well that's just great.

I have $40 right now.

Valkyrie Profile II, Guitar Hero II, Bully, Okami, and Phantasy Star Universe? What the fuck do I do? I have the Okami demo that came with last month's PSM. I beat it, and I thought it was amazing. If I don't get it soon, I'll definitely get it by Christmas.

If I can control myself long enough, I plan to get PSU first. Don't know if I can resist temptation, though...
The GAME
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by The GAME »

If people are playing PSU will anyone still play PSO Online for DC or GC?
I probably will.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I guess, but definitely not as often.

Probably the PC users mostly won't be on PSO anymore.
Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Karkash »

Did you hear about them closing Clover? =/
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

What the hell was Capcom thinking? I don't see what they are trying to achieve by doing that.
Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Karkash »

They said it was "a desire to improve their overall development structure." Whatever that means... =/

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/738/738611p1.html
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I beat Okami. One of the greatest games I've ever played. The single most beautiful gaming experience ever (graphically and storyline).

I nearly cried at the end. I can't believe it. I could barely hold myself together.

If you own a PS2--no, if you own anything--you will play this goddamned game. Especially towards the end I started enjoying myself so much that I quit playing PSU altogether until I pwnt it.

*spoiler*
So I saved enough demon fangs up to get the water artifact or whatever that makes Ameratsu Jesus. I had so much fun running around on the ocean at North Ryoshima Coast. I still never figured out how to get the underwater chests. How was that supposed to work?
Yikarso
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Yikarso »

Just use power slash on em.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Oh... well damnit...
Dark Crusader
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Dark Crusader »

Im still in the prosses of getting the $$ for Okami. I love the Japanese wood block style of art and the mythology involved. That and I like wolves so i must have this game. Peopel say the fighting mechanics are similar to Wind Waker in that it is easy to use and still complex enough to keep your atintion.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin
PixelP
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Programming Language of Choice: c/c++

Post by PixelP »

Okami is the best game I ever played! If you don't own this game, get it! It's worth it.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Okami Review

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'll second that. It's definitely on my list of favorite games.
Jools64
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Re: Okami Review

Post by Jools64 »

Hmmm, I might pick this up for the wii. :p