Ristar (Genesis)

Reviews for both games and hardware. Feel free to write your own and post/comment on the reviews of others.

Moderator: Game Reviewers

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Ristar (Genesis)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Ristar is a serious case of kick-ass. Raise your hands, how many of you have ever heard of it? Nah, changed my mind--nobody has. It's sad that Ristar is so insanely under-rated. If you think I'm grading really high, look on google and gamefaqs. I'm seeing 10s accross the board.

Ristar was released around a time where people where forgetting about the Genesis and were moving on from CD and 32X to the Saturn. Sadly, that meant that this title was overlooked. It was released in 1995 so that you get the timeframe.

Graphics: 10/10
Yeah, seriously. Genesis just doesn't get any better than this. It looks almost 100% as colorful and good as Knuckles Chaotix on the Sega 32X, and that's saying something. The game's graphics are smooth, and nice. The animations are fluid-like and great looking. Also, I'm seeing alot of special effects in here that just show that this isn't any normal Genesis title.

Sound: 7/10
Nothing to complain about. Nothing at all. I wish I could praise it more like a Sonic or Ecco game, but it just isn't on par with them. I wouldn't expect better (maybe a bit worse), but there aren't any insanely catchy or original sounding toons. Sort of generic here.

Sound affects are a different matter. I hear Ristar talking to me, all sorts of really nice sounding affects (watch the intro), and other goods are strewn about.

Gameplay: 10/10
This is where the meat is really at. Ristar is a forgotten masterpeice, it's a gem that reminds me so much of games like Kirby's Dreamland 3 and lots of those other ever-popular Nintendo franchises. You play as Ristar, and use your awesome arm-extending abilities to flip, climb, swing, and beat the shit out of anybody that gets in your grill. There are all sorts of obstacles and bosses, and there is a wide array of level themes to keep it entertaining.

Final Word
I picked Ristar up for $13 earlier at my local GameStore. I can't admit to even hearing about this game in my life. The only reason I found it was because I had seen a Ristar toy come from a vending machine in a Dreamcast game called "Shenmue." With all of my Shenmue experience, I know that anything coming from the vending machines kicks ass.

So I was at the gamestore and I saw the same guy from the vending machine on the game, so I knew I had to buy it. I didn't expect for it to be this good, but it really is an instant classic. This is one of those games that any Sega--or any other--fan should own.

Screenshots courtesies of random people that I've ripped off:
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Holy shit that game looks so kick ass I want to play it! :shock:
Dark Crusader
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Dark Crusader »

Man it has been years sence I have played that game. Ah the memories....
*sits in fetal position in corner* Those memories.
Yes it was and still is a gewd game.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

The backgrounds look like re-done Sonic The Hedgehog graphics. Looks awesome.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

tunes, sound effects

But yeah, looks neat.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Anerlalen6

Post by Anerlalen6 »

Showdin
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Showdin »

Isn't that the game I bought you at rhino cuz I missed your birthday?
You are better than me.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

It's on the VC now I think.
There is no signature.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Yeah, it is on the VC now. I made my friend buy it just the other day and he loved it.

By the way, Showdin, this is the exact game that you bought me when you were out. It's so badass. Thanks, bro.