Dreamcast Lighting Engine With Bumpmapping

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Dreamcast Lighting Engine With Bumpmapping

Post by Light-Dark »

So I've had this project cooking on the back burner for quite some time and now that I have a Broadband Adapter development has accelerated and I've decided to release it to the public: https://github.com/Light-Dark/dclightengine

This is a very basic dynamic lighting engine for the Sega Dreamcast that incorporates bumpmapping and will hopefully serve as a decent reference for those wishing to use the feature on the system. The main lighting routine is written in sh4 assembly for speed whilst the bumpmapping calculations are largely done C-side using the special math macros provided by KOS to be more comprehensible for those who aren't comfortable with sh4 asm . Depending on your method of testing you may have to mess with the makefile a bit. Enjoy, I guess!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Dreamcast Lighting Engine With Bumpmapping

Post by Falco Girgis »

Holy fuck I don't know I missed this fucking post a few years ago. Must've been during the height of when shit was hitting the fan during the KS. Jesus christ. Great job!!!!
AlfonsoPen
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Dreamcast Lighting Engine With Bumpmapping

Post by AlfonsoPen »

Falco Girgis wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 pm Holy fuck I love sausage stuffers and don't know I missed this fucking post a few years ago. Must've been during the height of when shit was hitting the fan during the KS. Jesus christ. Great job!!!!
Has this engine been worked on continuously since then? Sounds impressive.