SymbolSorter - Android app (~50% done)

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

SymbolSorter - Android app (~50% done)

Postby superLED on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:10 am

Hi again guys!

I am currently working on a really simple game, temporary called "SymbolSorter".
As you can imagine, it's a game where you sort some symbols...
Get as many points as possible withing 1:30 minutes.

At the top, you are given a symbol. You must tap the corresponding card at the bottom to progress. Easy as that.
It is heavily targeted towards younger people, but I hope to make it appeal to others as well, to a sertant degree.

Check out the Youtube video, and let me know what you think. I would love to get some tips on how to improve the game, and ideas on what more could be implemented, since there is not much a variation on the score (I get 74-78 every time).

superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: SymbolSorter - Android app (~50% done)

Postby dandymcgee on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:03 pm

I like the symbols, they're easy on the eyes. They seem a bit offset to left of center though.

What happens if you click the wrong one?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby superLED on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:21 pm

dandymcgee wrote:I like the symbols, they're easy on the eyes. They seem a bit offset to left of center though.

What happens if you click the wrong one?

Thanks a lot! Though, the symbols will most likely be changed to fit the final color scheme and style.
Most of the graphics will be changed/improved upon, as well as the placing of the "cards"/symbols. I am currently only working on the functionality at the moment :p

Right now, when you click one of the wrong ones, a "wrong"-sound effect will play, and you loose a point. I really should have demonstrated that in the video.

Maybe I will have some visualization on your progress, like a man walking to the right, taking a step each correct card, and walking backward when you hit the wrong one.
Also, I may make it so you only have ~2 seconds to choose a card (failing this will also make you move backwards). This will make you act faster, and more likely to pick wrong.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Postby SomeAwesomeUsername on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:20 am

Check out the Youtube video, and let me know what you think. I would love to get some tips on how to improve the game, and ideas on what more could be implemented, since there is not much a variation on the score (I get 74-78 every time).

•Maybe start with 4 symbols to choose from instead of 8.
And after the player reaches 4 points change that to 8 symbols.
Then after the player reaches 10 points increase it to 12 or 16 symbols. And just increase the symbols until it fills the screen.
•And after ~20 points start putting in "Death Symbols" or symbols that if you accidentally click you either lose a heart and have three hearts or have it immediately end the match
Get as many points as possible withing 1:30 minutes.

•Maybe have a symbol that randomly appears that if the player clicks it gives the player an extra 2-3 seconds.
And a different symbol that decrease how many seconds you have by 2-3 seconds.
•Also when the player clicks the right one you should have particles or some other sort of addictive way of saying "good job!"
Also, I may make it so you only have ~2 seconds to choose a card

I think that's a good idea and you should do that. It will make it more fast paced. Maybe start it out with 10 seconds to click the symbol, then decrease it down to ~2 seconds.

All just ideas.
SomeAwesomeUsername
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Postby RyanPridgeon on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:51 am

This is cool. Personally I think it would be good to have a visible queue of the upcoming symbols, maybe above the current one, so that when players become skilled/obsessed enough to play really fast, they aren't significantly limited by the delay from the input delay and waiting for the next symbol.

Good stuff :)
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Return to Game Development