How does everybody do it?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Aspirer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

How does everybody do it?

Post by Aspirer »

I want to make games, and I'm learning. But right now I'm working towards a degree in Web design and I work part time. I barely make the bills. I want to know how you other indie devs manage to keep a roof over your heads. Do you have a day job? Investors? A large sum stocked up somewhere to finance the development of your game? I'm not talking about software/hardware costs, just how do you find the time and money to make games?
"We got more information out of a German general with a game of chess or Ping-Pong than they do today, with their torture" --Henry Kolm
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: How does everybody do it?

Post by Falco Girgis »

I took out every student loan I could in college, so I wouldn't have to work. :)
Aspirer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Aspirer »

I guess it safe to say then that you're up to your armpits in debt then? lol
"We got more information out of a German general with a game of chess or Ping-Pong than they do today, with their torture" --Henry Kolm
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Aspirer wrote:I guess it safe to say then that you're up to your armpits in debt then? lol
No... I graduated and work as an engineer. I have been paying them off.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I for one, got a decent job in IT. I had plenty of scholarships to get me through my first two years of college. So I can pay my bills, and my schooling is paid for :) I am pretty much broke now though...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Same story here: work through school and take out loans to cover the rest. Starting a full-time job after I graduate in a few weeks, will have plenty to pay back loans and get by comfortably.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Aspirer wrote:I want to make games, and I'm learning. But right now I'm working towards a degree in Web design and I work part time. I barely make the bills. I want to know how you other indie devs manage to keep a roof over your heads. Do you have a day job? Investors? A large sum stocked up somewhere to finance the development of your game? I'm not talking about software/hardware costs, just how do you find the time and money to make games?
Just don't expect to have any "free" time, that's all, really :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.