Head Tracking VR Just Seems Off...

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Head Tracking VR Just Seems Off...

Post by THe Floating Brain »

Hello everyone!

I am attempting to duplicate the effect seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw . I have made a small prototype which I compared to the i3D app: http://iihm.imag.fr/francone/i3D/ . They looked like they were doing the same thing, however mine just does not look right, although it has poor performance I do not believe that to be the cause. I was wondering if someone could take a look and give me an opinion and maybe some advice?

Thanks!
- TFB

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?liica9z711vp5f9

P.s Sorry for the messy code, it is just a prototype and something I threw together.
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Head Tracking VR Just Seems Off...

Post by Falco Girgis »

You're going to need to post a video or at least a screenshot of yours before anybody can help you (unless they want to start from scratch with your code, but ain't nobody got time for that...)
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Falco Girgis wrote:You're going to need to post a video or at least a screenshot of yours before anybody can help you (unless they want to start from scratch with your code, but ain't nobody got time for that...)
I will have a video up in a bit (I need to charge my camera), is something wrong with the executable?
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Sorry it took me so long (my camera takes a while to charge), here is the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJk_6V37 ... e=youtu.be surprisingly it looks a bit better in the video than in real life.

ImageImage
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

Maybe it looks weird because you were only strafing while keeping your eye on a fixed point? And it looked like it was only rotating about 2 axis?
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Rebornxeno wrote:Maybe it looks weird because you were only strafing while keeping your eye on a fixed point? And it looked like it was only rotating about 2 axis?
That's possible, also your observation is correct, I move the camera up and down rather than rotating it. I tried rotating it but it seemed to move almost to much. Maybe if I decrees the amount it rotates it would look better? Not sure. I'l give it a shot.

ImageImage
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

Tweaking it to look right will be hard if you don't quite know what right is. Do you already have in mind what you are trying to accomplish, and how the current version doesn't match up with it? If you can answer that, then figuring out what is wrong will be a lot easier.
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Rebornxeno wrote:Tweaking it to look right will be hard if you don't quite know what right is. Do you already have in mind what you are trying to accomplish, and how the current version doesn't match up with it? If you can answer that, then figuring out what is wrong will be a lot easier.
I am trying to make the objects look as extruded as in the video I posted.

ImageImage
Rebornxeno
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Rebornxeno »

I get the feeling that the head tracking is no different than using a mouse and keyboard to move around. Instead of mouse and keyboard, it goes by your head. So imagine in a game, instead of looking around when you moved the mouse left and right, you could only strafe. That is what it looks like your program is doing, so I think you should start doing rotations if you aren't already.

Also, try playing with the field of view.
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

I can tell you that the tracking is most certainly nowhere near what a mouse/keyboard do. There are a lot of things going on that are hidden from you but don't think about in terms of smoothing and path prediction going on. The simplest case I have for you is to move your mouse....palms anchored....left to right. The sensor traces an arc, but you'll see your cursor move in a horizontal line. That's a path prediction done by the OS, which can be enhanced, disabled, made more sensitive, etc.

The other thing going on w/ head tracking is signal noise. The recognization algorithm is inherently going to be very noisy. The error rate is high and the professional implementations are VERY heavily digitally filtered. Experience w/ DSP would be optimal, but you should be able to find plenty of resources there.