My Thread

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

aQuisenberry
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

My Thread

Post by aQuisenberry »

'Ello all. My name is Anthony. I am a CECS student who has a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to my peers in my classes. Unlike 99% of them, I did not qualify for the program straight out of high school, nor did I have much experience in programming, other than a Visual Basic based programming class my senior year. All that being said, I've watched the AIGD series since it was dev cock, or some such nonsense, and even had an account on the forum at one time, though I rarely posted anything.

Anyway, I want to be a game developer and the last time (I wanna say about 4 years ago.... around the time fable 2 came out) I was around, the forum was helpful with my classes and kept me motivated and I even managed to hook up with a group of guys who were making a txtRPG, before all of them got busy. So I'm back and I honestly have no clue where to start at this point..... So fisrt question I guess would be if anyone has any suggestions on where to begin and what would be the best way to start developing a game.

Random info:
-Rather decent math and logic skills
-Languages I know a bit of include (c/++, java/android, visual basic) though all of them are very basic and need much improvement.
-In a data structures class that is actually the first CECS class I've ever had where I'm like " dude, what the fuck?"
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: My Thread

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Definitely pay attention in Data Structures/Algorithms. It will form the basis of virtually every single thing you do in game development. Your knowledge of language is of secondary importance.

Making a "whole game" now is fairly complex to the point that you might want to specialize in something. The alternative is to just do something simple. So depending on your specialty is what will dictate what skills you might desire.

For example, for back-end work, you would want a VERY firm grasp on algorithms, data structures, operating systems, and architecture. For graphics work, you should be very versed in linear mathematics, calculus (yes, many graphics algorithms are proved w/ calculus), parallel computing. For gameplay, you might want a grasp on graph theory, network flows, algorithms again, etc... So you see that in terms of a big endeavour, I think "doing it all" is a bit much for one to grasp. So start simple and it's likely that you'll gravitate towards something more specific where you can apply more specific skills.
aQuisenberry
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by aQuisenberry »

Thanks for the advice, I'v actually had a professor tell me the exact same thing about data structures. To be honest, I'd like to have a decent understanding of all the parts that go into it, maybe specializing in one or two areas but being able to look at what other people on a team are doing and help them out without getting in the way too much.For instance, I'd enjoy writing material for an RPG's storyline, but I'd also like to write the game mechanics as well. My overall goal is to start a studio where I live, so I feel like I'd need to know a little about alot to manage that.

So, any suggestions on the best starting project to start off on? I hear doing clones of smaller seemingly simple games are a good way to start out, but wanna know if that's true or if there's another course I should take first?
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

There isn't a course in college that will teach you how to make games. However, almost every single one will arm you with tools necessary to tackle the problems inherent in game development.

That said, I would try to challenge yourself. I would say, sure...make Pong, or some simple game. Here you will run into the absolute simplest of problems, but you won't find yourself really tackling the deepest problems inherent in development in the long run. I'm a pretty big advocate of diving in headlong into something ambitious. You'll fail quickly, I'm sure...but in the long run I think you'll see your skills put to much better use.
aQuisenberry
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by aQuisenberry »

MMk, so something more complicated that I can learn from failing at. Anything you suggest for that, or was pong the suggestion for that category? (I feel like that can be read as snippy, def not the intention)
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

What do you WANT to do? (don't place limits)

... do that.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

qpHalcy0n wrote:What do you WANT to do? (don't place limits)

... do that.
This. It is very difficult to stay motivated when working on something you have no interest in (unless you're getting paid).
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: