Small Basic Open GL Engine

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Coro
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Developing a small 3D engine, UDK game developer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, C#

Small Basic Open GL Engine

Post by Coro »

Hey everyone

Right so my name is Coro and I'm from the UK. For my second year college assignment we have been told that we have to design and create a project of our choice. The project has to be assessed to see if it will meet the satisfactory requirements. Well my computing teacher has managed to talk me into doing a rather small and 'sad' engine that can load mesh data and textures and render them to the screen.

The Engine will use a very small number of third party libraries, mainly because a substantial amount of code must be done by me. Now granted this project will have its Positives and negatives, but once completed I would like to release the source code without any restrictions for anyone to look at, use, copy, modify. You can do whatever you want with it. My hope here is to help teach people that may have been in my position when I first started learning about Game development and programming, how to go about creating different systems.

Now I must get back to work and sorry if there's any Typos, its 05:44 Am and I'm knackered!

Coro :)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Small Basic Open GL Engine

Post by dandymcgee »

Good luck on the project, can't wait to see what you come up with!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Coro
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Developing a small 3D engine, UDK game developer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, C#

Post by Coro »

Thank you, will try and keep you posted! I'm writing the OBJ Loader at the minute to view files exported from Modelling suites like Blender, Maya and 3DS Max. First I will just be looking to import meshes, then textures/materials and eventually different mapping types like Normal, diffuse and specular maps. From there I want to be able to import animation.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Cool project! It would be interesting to see how you import animation ;)