2D RPG Engine Development

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

101MUDman101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Elemental Dawn (2D RPG)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Lua, Perl

2D RPG Engine Development

Post by 101MUDman101 »

Hello I would like to use this time to show off my 2D engine I have been working on for about 2 years now, just me. The engine is written in C++ with the SDL API, I will be soon impementing OpenGL aswell. So far the engine supports Lua scripts, sprite blitting, text blitting, textbox system, data storage system and xbox 360 controller support. I do not have much to show as I don't really have much art, I do however how videos on youtube which you can view on my channel (Link in signature). I may aswell use this post to update my progress aswell. 8-)

The Engine running a space shooter style game made in lua:

Showing of the Engine's Alpha Blending feature:

Thanks foe reading! :)
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Damn Right.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/101MUDman101
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Brotherhood of the Raven
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: 2D RPG Engine Development

Post by Tetriarch »

Hi,

your engine seems to be nice. I mean you worked on it realy hard I guess.

I am just at the beginning of such engine. Shame you don't have art... looking forward.

When I read your topic I realize how much still I have to learn. Well at least Lua.. I don't know anything about it and I am pretty sure my engine will need it too.

Allright, wish you good luck with your engine, and show us something when you'll have something to show.
What if I am 1 and my shadow is 0? Does it still mean that we are 2?

Fractal art - DA Gallery
101MUDman101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Elemental Dawn (2D RPG)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Lua, Perl

Post by 101MUDman101 »

Tetriarch wrote:Hi,

your engine seems to be nice. I mean you worked on it realy hard I guess.

I am just at the beginning of such engine. Shame you don't have art... looking forward.

When I read your topic I realize how much still I have to learn. Well at least Lua.. I don't know anything about it and I am pretty sure my engine will need it too.

Allright, wish you good luck with your engine, and show us something when you'll have something to show.
Thanks :lol: At the moment I don't see art or sound as a necessity as the engine isn't fully optimized. Good luck with your engine! Lua tutorials are everywhere, it takes about a week to fully learn it :lol:

On a side note, I have released a new update video!

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Damn Right.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/101MUDman101
Tetriarch
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Brotherhood of the Raven
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Tetriarch »

Hell, it looks really good :)

Seriously looking forward for next post. :)

Lua in week? :) Seriously? I thought it takes at least a year... :) Bad expectation :D Okay, I'll try to find some tutorial :D
What if I am 1 and my shadow is 0? Does it still mean that we are 2?

Fractal art - DA Gallery
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I have to say,that space invaders game looks exactly like the one I did while I was learning OpenGL :D Brings back good memories.