STARTING GAME DEVELOPMENT - What Language?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Byte
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

STARTING GAME DEVELOPMENT - What Language?

Post by Byte »

I've been switching from C# to Python to Java to C# forever now. I keep doubting what I should use for programming a game. I want to use C++ but I'm only 15 and I hear it is very difficult to master. Please help me, what should I choose? :worship:
101MUDman101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Elemental Dawn (2D RPG)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Lua, Perl

Re: STARTING GAME DEVELOPMENT - What Language?

Post by 101MUDman101 »

Hi, I had your problem aswell, C# is great with XNA and you can do alot with it. I wouldn't recomend Java to much as it uses lots of memory and may lag your games. I really recomend learning C++ and using and api like SDL or OpenGL, yes it is hard but I'm 14 and have been using it for 3 years and have good experience with it. I recomend finding some programming books that will teach you the in's and out's of C++. Hope this helps ;)
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Damn Right.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/101MUDman101
AaronGlazer
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: things @ my job + gamedev fuckery
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: Jai <3

Post by AaronGlazer »

You should at least try to learn C++. If it's too hard, I'd suggest BlitzPlus or C# with XNA.
"To buy, or not to buy -- just buy it."
- DG, the greatest broker to ever live.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Of C#, Java, and Python I would recommend C# for any moderately sized game. While theoretically you could make it any programming language, some are obviously better suited. It depends on the scope of the idea as well. Truth is, doesn't really matter what language you use to start as long as you actually start.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

Not to say once you've got something running and the ideia of how it works in your mind, it is (relatively) easy to "port" it to other languages.