HOW MANY Programming Languages have YOU learned?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Re: HOW MANY Programming Languages have YOU learned?

Post by THe Floating Brain »

dandymcgee wrote:
THe Floating Brain wrote:It is true I know all these languages and I do not have a lot of experience with all of them.
I guess our definition of "know" differs. If you have 40 minutes experience with a programming language, in my opinion you do not know the language, rather you know of the language.

Oooooooh now I see what you mean, that is the time it took me to learn them, not all the time iv used them :lol:
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

I'm going to include markups in the list for the sake of completeness.

Expert
  • C++ (8 years)
  • C (8 years)
  • PHP (7 years)
  • HTML (7 years)
  • CSS (7 years)
  • XML (7 years)
  • Make (GNU syntax) (6 years)
  • Objective C (2 years)
Proficient
  • Delphi (8 years)
  • BASIC (various flavors) (8 years)
  • JavaScript (7 years)
  • SQL (7 years)
  • Bash (6 years)
  • x86 machine code (this counts, right?) (6 years)
  • x86 assembly (AT&T / Intel syntax) (5 years)
  • C# (3 years)
  • Java (3 years)
Familiar
  • Python (5 years)
  • Lua (5 years)
Beginner
  • Go
  • Perl
  • Ruby
A lot of these languages I haven't used in years. I haven't touched Delphi for quite some time, but 6 years ago I was writing all of my software in Delphi 7.

I used to know more languages, but they weren't proper programming languages--mostly scripting languages specific to one application.

So, to answer the titular question, at least 20.
Indie Tom
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Stealthy game.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: nes, DOS etc.
Programming Language of Choice: c++, java, html.

Post by Indie Tom »

C++, perl, actionscript and HTML.
Code::Blocks and Coke.
101MUDman101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Elemental Dawn (2D RPG)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Lua, Perl

Post by 101MUDman101 »

Here's my list:
  • C++ - 4 Years Understand it well
    Java - 1 Yearv Meh
    C# - 3 Years Does too much for you
    Batch(I know :D): 6 Years Im a pro :lol:
    BASIC - 2 Years Crap for experts
    Python - 1 Year Great all round powerfull language
Scripting Languages:
  • Lua - 3 Years Easy Peasy
    Perl - 1 Year It's alright..
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Damn Right.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/101MUDman101
SegmentationFault
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: SIGSEGV Engine 1.0
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All the PlayStations, original Xbox, and Super NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++ or Python

Post by SegmentationFault »

Python 2 - about a month
C++ - 3.5 months
Unix Shell - a day or two
brainfuck - Suspended indefinitely
jmcintyretech
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jmcintyretech »

Most Experience:
C#/Java - I like the ease of working with an API for my PC projects like utilities and games. XNA is also easy to work with.

Currently starting:
C/++ - I'm learning this for some small Gameboy projects, and obviously it will come in handy down the road.

Dabbled in:
Visual Basic.NET - I started with it but I now use C# for all my .NET needs :)
PHP - Made a database program but never went further.
Batch - Not sure if this counts but I work in support so it comes in handy.

The nice thing about programming is that once you learn the logic, learning a new syntax is relatively easy :lol:
Calypso
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, GBC
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-c

Post by Calypso »

JS - a few years, used in web projects, a drawing app, and iphone app. (I hate it)

PHP - 2 years, did a lot of backend work for websites like social networks or just simple college projects.

AS3 - 2 years, I used it for small games or projects and then got a job working on large social media games.

Objective C - over a year now, I use it everyday for app development. (my language of choice)

Touched:

Python (thought I would look into it but didnt like it)
BASIC (TI calculator applications)
ASSEMBLY (used it in robotics AI highschool)

Learning:

C++ - have been going over books for the past month now, long way to go but I like that it doesnt hold your hand as much like Objective-c, it gives a greater challenge.
Last edited by Calypso on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Very interesting thread!
  • C/C++ 4 years
  • Java 1 year, uni...
  • Dabbled in web, scripting, and other languages
qpHalcy0n wrote:Yeesh. Not many. To be honest, though, if you know one high level language really well then you pretty much know them all. Focus on programming paradigms and good design, not so much language. Language is a means to an end... a tool.
I try to follow this ;)
Nokurn wrote:So, to answer the titular question, at least 20.
Dang!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this is pointless?

As many of you have brought up, once you grasp core programming concepts (and to a lesser extent, certain programming paradigms), picking up a new language is just a matter of learning the syntax...

I pull Python, Ruby, PHP, and various Unix Shell code out of my asshole at work fairly regularly without ever having used them before with just a few Google searches...

I don't think it's fair or completely truthful to say that I "know them." To me, knowing a language is having a very deep understanding of its usage, implementation, and paradigms. It is not just being able to hack some shit together in it--any good programmer should be able to do that with any language.

edit: This topic would be more adequately and meaningfully named "How many programming languages have you DABBLED IN" or "How many programming languages are you PROFICIENT AT?"

...Or we can all make a hierarchy like Nokurn. :mrgreen:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Falco Girgis wrote:Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this is pointless?

As many of you have brought up, once you grasp core programming concepts (and to a lesser extent, certain programming paradigms), picking up a new language is just a matter of learning the syntax...

I pull Python, Ruby, PHP, and various Unix Shell code out of my asshole at work fairly regularly without ever having used them before with just a few Google searches...

I don't think it's fair or completely truthful to say that I "know them." To me, knowing a language is having a very deep understanding of its usage, implementation, and paradigms. It is not just being able to hack some shit together in it--any good programmer should be able to do that with any language.

edit: This topic would be more adequately and meaningfully named "How many programming languages have you DABBLED IN" or "How many programming languages are you PROFICIENT AT?"

I'm just going to add on to this by saying I write Powershell scripts for work all the time. I know absolutely nothing about powershell. I just know that what I need has a function and I find that function using google. If I don't know the syntax, I google it. If I knew Powershell I would know these things, and I would know more of the functionality of the cmdlets. But seeing as I don't use powershell more than once a month, there's no need to know that much. Especially since I can create a script in about ten minutes just using google. So yeah I don't see a point in this thread. Once you've been programming for a while, you've got something like C++ and or Java down, you can pick things up pretty quick. Same goes for scripting languages. If you know a scripting language, you can pick the others up fairly easily.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

Falco Girgis wrote:Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this is pointless?

Listing them all in detail is a superfluous and vain practice but I still like to keep track. The list I presented consists only of languages that I've either used for multiple projects and feel I have a good grasp of or have read formal specifications for. If I were to include every language I've used even briefly--oftentimes no more than Googling a particular snippet--the list would of course be much longer. I've instead opted to list the languages I would feel comfortable using without an Internet connection, as I feel it is a much more meaningful collection.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Hey, you're the one guy whose list is actually somewhat indicative of your programming experience. I'm not about to bitch about yours. :mrgreen: