HOW MANY Programming Languages have YOU learned?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: It's called the iWish project...
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360,Xbox,PS2, my PC sucks
Programming Language of Choice: DarkBASIC

HOW MANY Programming Languages have YOU learned?

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Feel free to list the languages. After you list them, tell me how long it took you to learn them. It'll help me know what to expect over the time i'm learning my first few languages.
Last edited by BattleZoneHD on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Re: HOW MANY Programming Languages do YOU know?

Post by bbguimaraes »

BattleZoneHD wrote:Feel free to list the languages. After you list them, tell me how long it took you to learn them. It'll help me know what to expect over the time i'm learning my first few languages.
That depends on what you mean by 'know'.
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: It's called the iWish project...
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360,Xbox,PS2, my PC sucks
Programming Language of Choice: DarkBASIC

Re: HOW MANY Programming Languages do YOU know?

Post by BattleZoneHD »

bbguimaraes wrote:
BattleZoneHD wrote:Feel free to list the languages. After you list them, tell me how long it took you to learn them. It'll help me know what to expect over the time i'm learning my first few languages.
That depends on what you mean by 'know'.
I changed it to learned. How many have you learned?
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: HOW MANY Programming Languages have YOU learned?

Post by bbguimaraes »

I was just lazy, I could have just said:

== This should be my original reply ==
I'll order them by "level of knowledge":

== Like area ==
  • c/++: extensive, I've been working with it for... Must be 5 years now, and I consider myself quite proficient.
  • shell: you may not consider it a language (you'd be either stupid or ignorant: the good meaning of ignorant, the bad meaning of stupid). I work almost exclusively in Linux, so I use it a lot. I've been using Linux for 3 years now, so I had much time to study and use it.
  • Ruby and python: played with them, liked them, played with them more. I'm working for a company that uses python, so it's currently my main language. Both are very much alike, so quite proficient with both.
  • Perl: a pretty nice language, I use it mainly for its (one-liner) regex capabilities (which is a lot). I guess I couldn't do much more than that.
  • Prolog: did some experimenting with it when I read an AI book. Nice language.
  • Lisp: same as Prolog, but, in order to maintain my mental health, I didn't study it much.
  • Lua: read Programming in Lua and played with it a while ago, when I created my never-fulfilled plan to use it with c++.
  • Assembly: oh boy. Learned it in college, never touched it again (except to see the assembly output of c/++ code).
== Hate area ==
  • Java and C#: unfortunately, I had to use them in ages past: Java in classes and C# in a past job. Had to be proficient. But it was some time ago, I'd need some reviewing to work again with them (which I would fight not to).
  • Pascal: pre-college years, basic computer course, Delphi, enough said.
Wow, 13. And I probably forgot some (I'll edit if I remember). I'm curious to see the replies to this topic.
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Yeesh. Not many. To be honest, though, if you know one high level language really well then you pretty much know them all. Focus on programming paradigms and good design, not so much language. Language is a means to an end... a tool.

C/C++ - 15 years.
Java - 3 years.
Multiple assembly languages - 15 years

Thats it :]
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by lalacomun »

Well im probably one of the noobies in here so here is my list:

C/++: 1 - 2 years by now im still learnng ;)
BASIC: My first programming language I think 2 years by now, it cost me alot moving onto C++ because i was used to a lot of Goto shit!
Pascal: Learnit for 4-5 months i get bored, i didnt like it

Take in accont that i am only 15 now i didnt went to college yet ;)
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

PHP - my first language as I started out in web development and is currently my job.
C++ - first language using a compiler/linker. Wowsers, there's a lot of stuff here and I'm still not worthy of being its master.
Java - only really used it for college. But it was the first time OOP really clicked for me.
BASIC - learned it in class for my first microcontroller programs. But didn't enjoy it much I'd rather use the following...
Processing - learned it also for microcontrollers and output display. It's very C-like so it's really more of my style.
C# - my current "main" language, it's like taking a nice breather from C++ plus it's what Java should have been IMO.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

qpHalcy0n wrote:To be honest, though, if you know one high level language really well then you pretty much know them all. Focus on programming paradigms and good design, not so much language. Language is a means to an end... a tool.
This.

I've used more far more languages than I could comfortably say that I "know" on a resume, but I have most used:

C# - Learned freshman year of college, been using daily at work for the last 2 years. It is a language that grows on you over time (except the Forms Designer.. which I still fucking hate). ~3 years
AutoIt Script - My first language, and one I will always admire because of that fact. Haven't used it in ages. ~1-2 years
C/C++ - The first "real" programming language I learned, have been using it off and on every since, especially for school projects. ~6 years
PHP - Some personal experience, used it for a software engineering project last year for school. ~3 years

Briefly touched: x86 Asm, Lisp, Lua, ML to name a few

To further emphasize qp's point, a coworker asked me with help writing and XSLT template today, something I have never even seen before. I taught him 3 ways to do what he was looking to do in less than 5 minutes. Given XSLT is hardly a programming language, but if you understand the core concepts you can easily translate them to just about any language.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by bbguimaraes »

I just wanted to say that I agree that learning a lot of languages doesn't make you a better programmer. Please don't take my post as some kind of stupid show-off. It was just a fun mental exercise to remember all the languages I studied at some point, which I think is a really good learning experience. One thing I might say, though, is that staying on a single language, or better, a single paradigm, WILL make your mind stall. Experiment, play, study.

Having said that, I think I have a craving for studying programming languages, kind of like a human-language polyglot. I really like studying how a specific language handles an aspect of programming: object-orientation in Lua, first-class functions in python, basically everything about prolog, to name a few.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

bbguimaraes wrote:I just wanted to say that I agree that learning a lot of languages doesn't make you a better programmer.
Oh, that's not at ALL what I was trying to say. Learning more languages most certainly makes you a better a programmer. Rather the important thing to remember to remember is that having dabbled in 10 languages doesn't necessarily make you a better programmer than someone who is an expert at one language but who understands the concepts thoroughly and completely. As with knowledge of any subject, there is no single measure that makes one person better than the next.
bbguimaraes wrote:One thing I might say, though, is that staying on a single language, or better, a single paradigm, WILL make your mind stall. Experiment, play, study.

Having said that, I think I have a craving for studying programming languages, kind of like a human-language polyglot. I really like studying how a specific language handles an aspect of programming: object-orientation in Lua, first-class functions in python, basically everything about prolog, to name a few.
This is what makes you a better programmer. 8-)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

I don't think we were addressing you in particular bbg ;] At least I wasn't.

There are those of us in the field who get their rocks off on language. There are those who get off on algorithms. Those who get off on graphics. Some get off on analysis. Some get off on parallel computing. I mean, it goes on and on and on. I don't think anyone in their right mind would accuse you of being pompous for knowing many languages. I think knowing languages is a reflection of either simply wanting to know many languages (a very valid field of study) or having been exposed to many languages as a requirement for various areas of application. I fall into the second category. There just is not much that I do that really requires me to step outside of C or Java. I've had a ton of experience with multiple assembly languages but over the past 10 years, however I haven't encountered too many chips that don't ship with a decent C compiler these days. So I don't touch it (much) anymore. Granted I've had forays into C#, ASP, and such but not anywhere near enough to claim to be "familiar".

I think this is a good topic, really. It seems to me that the act of writing code itself has become somewhat "chic" among those coming into the field. I really encourage new people to really focus more on an end product. Identify the problems. Design good solutions and finally apply the language that fits the bill.

Let the results motivate you. In the end, anyways, it's what you have DONE that matters.
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

+1 on the three poeple above me.

From when I was 12 until now.

2 - 3 Years:

Code: Select all

C
C++
Java (dident touch much apon it during that time)
1 Month:

GML
Logo (non-conventional, this was a
device specific implementation)
1 Week:

HTML
CSS
PHP
Pascal
SPIN
1 Day:

Java - Script
90% of D
CLR
SQL (I keep forgetting most of it though)-
Processing (I dont know all the library functions though)
40 Minutes:

Vala (I dont know all the library functions)
Object Pascal
Unreal Script (I dont know all the library functions)
20 Minutes:

Python 3.x
Ruby
Visual Basic
C#
Lua (recently relized I dont know ALL the concepts, but I
could write them in theory)
TI - Basic
QBasic
Intellivision Basic
Game Monkey Script
Delphi
Action Script
2 Minutes:

XML
Still Learning But Know Enough of To Write A Program In:

Objective - C
Common Lisp
F#
Touched Apon:

Ada
R
PL/I
Erlang
Mercury

Favorites:

0: C and C++ <3 ( My first language! And I think its great! )
1: GML also <3 ( I learned most of the basic skills I know with it :-D )
2: Python 3x ( So easy an elegant :-) ... except for class definitions  )
3: Pascal (Elegant, intreging, logical)
4: C# (This needs to be Java XD)
5: Delphi (Better than Object Pascal :-) )
6: D ( I would like this better but there is no multiple inheritance
also I only know 90% of it)
7: PHP (I would like it better, but single inheritance, no type clarity,
and it is only web based).
8: Java Script (Very elegant)
9: Game Monkey Script (YEHS!!! A Lua with C Syntax!! Hazah!)
Dislike List:

0: SPIN!!!!!! >:-( (Horrible documentation, overall bad syntax and semantics)
1: Java (No pointers, not refs, no overloading, no destructors, horrbile type - system,
unessisary-nondescriptive keywords, no operator overloading)
2: CLR (Mutated C++)
3: Visual Basic (No... just no...)
4: Objective - C (Also Mutated C++)
5: Unreal Script (YUUUUK!!!)
6: Erlang (Code examples... WHY U NO WORK!!!)
7: Shell (Yuky syntax!)
8: SQL (I cant remember u!1!!)
9: Thats enough disliking :-)
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

THe Floating Brain wrote:+1 on the three poeple above me.

2 - 3 Years:

C
C++
Less than 1 Month...
So essentially you don't have experience with any language aside from C++? You could have just said that. :P
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

dandymcgee wrote:
THe Floating Brain wrote:+1 on the three poeple above me.

2 - 3 Years:

C
C++
Less than 1 Month...
So essentially you don't have experience with any language aside from C++? You could have just said that. :P
I do not understand what you mean. I said I agree knowing tons of programming languages alone doesent make you a good programmer.

It is true I know all these languages and I do not have a lot of experience with all of them.
However I am experienced in C, C++, GML, Python 3x, Java, Pascal, C#, HTML, CSS, Java Script, Ruby, Lua, and TI - Basic.
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

THe Floating Brain wrote:It is true I know all these languages and I do not have a lot of experience with all of them.
I guess our definition of "know" differs. If you have 40 minutes experience with a programming language, in my opinion you do not know the language, rather you know of the language.