Master Touch Typing = Better Programming Experience?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: It's called the iWish project...
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360,Xbox,PS2, my PC sucks
Programming Language of Choice: DarkBASIC

Master Touch Typing = Better Programming Experience?

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Does mastering touch typing effect or improve your programming experience?
Do you know any programmers who touch type?
Do you touch type?
Let me know. I failed touch typing class in 1st-3rd grade. But I found an app that could teach me for free.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Re: Master Touch Typing = Better Programming Experience?

Post by superLED »

I have mastered the Touch Type stuff. Started using it since I was ~12 years old.
With this technique, I never have to look at the keyboard (because both index fingers are on the 'raised' part of F and J, so I always know where I am. Can find them in total darkness).
I have 'trained' where all the letters, numbers and symbols are, so I can easily write them out without looking or hesitate.
And I believe it has made me a faster writer.

(And since I never look at the keyboard, I look at the text on the screen instead, so I instantly know if I've typed something wrong and can fix it asap)

I don't know how you are writing at the moment, but with this method, your wrist can calmly rest on in the front of the keyboard. They are relaxed, and it doesn't matter if you are covering the keyboard from your sight, because you don't need to look.
Last edited by superLED on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Yeah, not properly typing is a bit of a roadblock in coding, as time spent typing is lengthened so much.
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Thank you for a detailed and helpful response. That'll be another thing I need to learn this summer.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

It depends how you define touch typing (it's a bit of a buzz-word that I have seen defined many different ways). If you're just referring to the ability to type without looking down at the keyboard, then yes that absolutely makes a difference with doing anything on a computer.

I personally type around ~80-90 wpm on average, when I'm not over-exerting myself. I don't think it gives me any advantage whatsoever over a programmer equally as experienced who can only type at 30 wpm. Speed doesn't matter much, as long as you can keep your eyes on the screen and not be distracted by staring at your keyboard while you type (which makes it near impossible to catch your typos).

If you want a fun place to practice, check out http://www.typeracer.com. I'm willing to race you any time, anywhere. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

I'm doing REALLY well if I can get around 80wpm. This really doesn't matter from a good design aspect as the majority of your time SHOULD be spent away from the computer anyways. If the majority of your time is spent typing code then your design is likely ill conceived. Don't focus too much on typing fast.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I love typeracer dandy. Back in junior high a friend and I were always way ahead of the class, so we'd spend our time racing eachother on there. The kid was really smart, he was usually around 110 or so when we raced, and I was like fuck this, 95 wpm...

Edit: This kid also dropped out of highschool and now does a lot of drugs. Life.
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Slow and Steady Wins the Race. YOU WON. In life. :mrgreen: