What Makes a GOOD Platformer?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: It's called the iWish project...
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360,Xbox,PS2, my PC sucks
Programming Language of Choice: DarkBASIC

What Makes a GOOD Platformer?

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Give me some of your ideas/opinions please. After I learn/study for a few years, I want my first big project to be a platform game.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: What Makes a GOOD Platformer?

Post by dandymcgee »

One that is finished. I don't care how terrible it looks, if you create a finished product I promise I'll try it out.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Alright then, btw, I'm going to use a game specific language instead of a multipurpose language. Hopefully you guys will look past that when it's finished.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

As long as you don't use GameMaker, edit some sprites on the platformer-example and say you created a game, I'd be happy to try it out.
I've seen too many of those :P
Last edited by superLED on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

The opposite of this:

So basically a finished working product.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Good thing you didn't say DarkBASIC. Is GML a really easy language to learn or is GML just really popular? I ask this because you've seen so many game maker platformers.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

BattleZoneHD wrote:Good thing you didn't say DarkBASIC. Is GML a really easy language to learn or is GML just really popular? I ask this because you've seen so many game maker platformers.
It didn't seem as if he meant if you used Game Maker. I had to read it a second time to understand. He seems to be referring to people who use Game Maker AND take an example platformer that is already made and simply edit the graphics or tweak little things here and there. Then they show it off as something they made.
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Thanks for clearing that up, XianForce. I never really touched Game Maker but I know tons of people use it. So I thought he was telling me GML is the easy way out. Does the Game Maker community SUPPORT what I would call cloning or jacking the game? You would call it taking "an example platformer that is already made and simply edit the graphics or tweak little things here and there." I don't even make games yet and I feel that is the easy way out.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

BattleZoneHD wrote:Thanks for clearing that up, XianForce. I never really touched Game Maker but I know tons of people use it. So I thought he was telling me GML is the easy way out. Does the Game Maker community SUPPORT what I would call cloning or jacking the game? You would call it taking "an example platformer that is already made and simply edit the graphics or tweak little things here and there." I don't even make games yet and I feel that is the easy way out.
I'm not really familiar with the Game Maker community, but I'm quite sure that they do not support that. Don't get me wrong, taking someone else's work and changing things for yourself is a GREAT way to learn. Passing it off as your own work, on the other hand, is just messed up.
Skomakar'n
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Skomakar'n »

Maybe it's just me, but as long as the mechanics and controllers are good, I find it hard for a platformer to fail. I remember playing some Game Maker platformer game based on a template, with ripped sprites and no original features at all, and it looked like crap, but the mechanics we're smooth and I had great fun just jumping around and shooting stuff. It's a genre that's very easy to work with. If you actually add a few original twists and make your own graphics, that would be enough to satisfy me properly. Don't know about others.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

XianForce wrote: It didn't seem as if he meant if you used Game Maker. I had to read it a second time to understand. He seems to be referring to people who use Game Maker AND take an example platformer that is already made and simply edit the graphics or tweak little things here and there. Then they show it off as something they made.
He meant as long as you don't do ALL of those things: Use GameMaker, load the platformer sample project that presumably comes with GameMaker, change one or two assets and release it as "My super awesome game".

In other words, don't steal someone else's code, modify 6 lines, and claim the entire project as your own.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

dandymcgee wrote:
XianForce wrote: It didn't seem as if he meant if you used Game Maker. I had to read it a second time to understand. He seems to be referring to people who use Game Maker AND take an example platformer that is already made and simply edit the graphics or tweak little things here and there. Then they show it off as something they made.
He meant as long as you don't do ALL of those things: Use GameMaker, load the platformer sample project that presumably comes with GameMaker, change one or two assets and release it as "My super awesome game".

In other words, don't steal someone else's code, modify 6 lines, and claim the entire project as your own.
Yes, that's basically what I was saying.
Kinda looks like I wrote a really hard puzzle and all of you tried to solve it.
My English is not that good, I guess.
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

Look at Spleunky for a really good platformer made in Game Maker. And it was supposedly the developer's first GM game too.

As far as what I look for in a good platformer, jumping that isn't floaty.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

CC Ricers wrote:As far as what I look for in a good platformer, jumping that isn't floaty.
And doesn't let you reverse directions infinitely mid-flight? :lol: