THANK YOU Falco Girgis and some Questions!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: It's called the iWish project...
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360,Xbox,PS2, my PC sucks
Programming Language of Choice: DarkBASIC

THANK YOU Falco Girgis and some Questions!

Post by BattleZoneHD »

I had no idea where to start and this guy helped me so much with this video series.

Game Development: Getting Started Part 1 http://youtu.be/zAgpsks29W4

I'm now studying DarkBasic with this book, DarkBASIC Programming for the Absolute Beginner and the free software. In the future, I will be forced to learn C++. Falco explained how tough C++ is and also how different that language is from DarkBASIC. But I need to walk before I run.

I have some questions though.
I read this tip on how to design a game, "Learn Maths. A game designer (as opposed to a game writer or level designer) needs to know how to balance lots of figures in many dimensions. Maths is the key here. Learn arithmetic, algebra, probability & statistics, and basic economics. The ability to chase artists who don't deliver work is reliant on this skill."
Is this true? If so, does a programmer need to learn more than this to dev a game?

Next question.
For indie game teams, if I sent you an application, how many years would I need under my belt before you took me seriously/hired me?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: THANK YOU Falco Girgis and some Questions!

Post by dandymcgee »

BattleZoneHD wrote: I read this tip on how to design a game, "Learn Maths. A game designer (as opposed to a game writer or level designer) needs to know how to balance lots of figures in many dimensions. Maths is the key here. Learn arithmetic, algebra, probability & statistics, and basic economics. The ability to chase artists who don't deliver work is reliant on this skill."
Is this true? If so, does a programmer need to learn more than this to dev a game?
Yes this is very much true, and just as true for programmers. Without a solid understanding of at least up to trig level math, and introductory physics of motion (kinetics) you will have a tough time developing any game where things move (if you can think of a game where nothing moves, my hat goes off to you).
BattleZoneHD wrote: For indie game teams, if I sent you an application, how many years would I need under my belt before you took me seriously/hired me?
It's not a matter of years, or time at all. Everyone learns at a difference pace, and excels in different areas. It's a matter of experience, how fast you pick up new things (no matter how much experience you have, if you can't constantly learn new things you're not going to do well in this field), and how motivated you are to succeed.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Thanks for the tips! I have 2 new questions.

1st question: When game development books like the one I presented (DarkBASIC Programming for the Absolute Beginner) say in the title, "for the Absolute Beginner", do they mean "for the Absolute Beginner who understands trig level math, and introductory physics of motion (kinetics)"? If so, why don't they put that in the title or description of their books.

2nd question: Can I learn trig level math, and introductory physics of motion (kinetics) by using books (buying some books)? I just graduated high school and succeeded in history/journalism/contemporary problems (not math and science lol). If so, do you have any recommendations on books I should read/learn from? I really don't want to put a few grand down to learn what I should have learned in high school. Plus home studying is better IMO.
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

1) No, they likely are approaching it like you know next to nothing. These are just hooks to pull an eager opportunist into buying the book. You can't put all of this on the cover because there is not enough room to tell the reader what they should and should not know before buying it. It might also turn a lot of prospective buyers off. This information should be in the preface or introduction.

2) You can learn physics and mathematics from books, yes. However, math and science texts are very "termy", and speak in the language OF mathematics. The advantage to a formal education (take a class at a community college or something) is that you have someone with intensive experience to translate what the book is trying to say into something you would understand. They are not written in conversational English. That said, there are a lot of online resources particularly on youtube that may help you understand.

Studying math and physics (or any other problem-based field) has the overarching effect of teaching you how to approach problems. It's not particularly true that you'll be applying math and physics everywhere (or anywhere) throughout your career, but the knowledge is crucial to understanding the inherent nature of a computer's operation as well as sharpening your "problem solving sword".
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Thank you so much. I really liked your Quadrion Engine Tech Demo. It'll take years before I can do that.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

BattleZoneHD wrote: 2nd question: Can I learn trig level math, and introductory physics of motion (kinetics) by using books (buying some books)? If so, do you have any recommendations on books I should read/learn from?
As qp pointed out, math is not something easily learned by simply buying a mathematics textbook and reading through it. While I agree that taking a course at a community college, or finding someone who is well educated to teach you the subject in person would likely be the best approach, college courses are not always easily accessible. If you cannot do so, or even if you can in order to supplement your knowledge, I would highly recommend Khan Academy. Even having learned much of the material in school, I occasionally visit their website to review and dust off some of my under-utilized skills.

http://www.khanacademy.org
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
BattleZoneHD
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by BattleZoneHD »

Ah yes, I used Khan academy for history lessons. He covers so many things. I'll search for his high level math videos. Thanks man, this community has very helpful members.