Smash Bros + Moba!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Smash Bros + Moba!

Post by DatamancerStudios »

Okay, so we have started our official project:
The basic Idea is that we are creating Super Heroes and Villains, who are going to battle it out in a 2D sidescroller fashion, very similar to Smash Bros.
The gimmick, however, is that we are going to add Moba( Dota, League of Legends ) style overhead to the game( leveling, destroying turrets, creeps, neutral buffs ).
We have already started work and are making decent progress, though I don't have any screen shots for you yet, as only very basic art is in the game and it isn't very exciting to look at.

From an Engine standpoint though i'll name off some features already implemented:
-Resolution Independent UI features that automatically scale with the selected resolution, and selectable graphics settings( through a config file at the moment, but supports Max FPS, Vsync, and resolution/fullscreen settings ).
-You can log in with a Username to the login server, and it will pull any saved data it needs from your account files ( currently only if banned or not ).
-After logging in you can select to join or Host a game, allowing you to type an IP if you are joining and then sending you through to a lobby screen. In the lobby you can see other players that have connected to this game ( up to 5 others,
we plan for the game to be 3v3 ATM ). Pressing Enter will bring you to the actual game, where you can chat between players ( can also do this in the lobby ), and run around n what not ( platform physics are implemented and networked ).
* In the final version the game will wait until all players are connected and then the host can press go to send the players into the game, it won't just allow rand.
-The Clients are syncing really well at the moment, and this client/host system seems to be the one the game is going to ride on for now.
-There is also a lot of the framework completing for separating players into the two teams, and an easy system for adding addition characters to the game.

I will post a screen shot if we get any nice art in, or if we get significant features into the game i'll upload a youtube video and demo what we have finished.

Currently we are using tilesets for the levels and 2d characters, but we are considering layering the 2d characters over an OpenGL based 3d environment.

I really just wanted to post this thread to kinda get our idea out there and see what people think about it, I really like the Idea of taking more skill based real time combat and combining it with Moba-like overhead.
We plan to have blocking and countering, and have a lot of skills be dodgeable to some degree ( no clicking the enemy and your attack just flys to them, you have to aim and hit them ).
Let me know what you think of the idea and i'll post updates here as soon as I have them!
Dormoxx
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning SFML and KallistiOS
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Smash Bros + Moba!

Post by Dormoxx »

Sounds awesome! I'll be following this and looking forward to updates!:D
CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
GPU: Sapphire Fury X
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Noteables: Sega Dreamcast with Keyboard
----------------------------
YouTube: Channel
Steam: [D]ormoxx
tumblr
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Smash Bros + Moba!

Post by DatamancerStudios »

Thanks! Just to give an update, right now I'm doing a lot of testing with the networking system to make sure there are no hiccups with the basic connections. So far it is going great and hopefully we will be able to make a small video in the coming week.