Purely virtual TCG

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Purely virtual TCG

Post by DatamancerStudios »

I was curious as to how you guys would feel about a Trading Card Game that was made purely as a computer game. You would still buy packs of cards for real money, but all within the program. A Deck Editor, Shop, and online battling system would all be planned. Think of it as a sort-of, Magic The Gathering, but virtual. Is this something you would spend money on? Or is the Idea not marketable?
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Purely virtual TCG

Post by lalacomun »

hmm it seems kinda difficult to make, are you skilled enought for doing it?? but i am sure there are many people that would like toy play it ;)
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

I always considered Trading Cards a pointless waste of money.

For the people who like Trading Cards, I'm sure it would work. A similar thing has found a market with football fans in the form of FIFA Ultimate Team.
I'll make your software hardware.
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

To the first post, I am now a semester away from my Bachelor's in Computer Science, and I do feel I am at a level to program the game.
I have the engine laid out in terms of menus and what not, and have a basic game screen where you can chat with another player online ( message sending is the basis for the online system,
considering it won't be "Real Time", all I have to do is mod the chat code to send messages about the game state. )
Before I continue work on that however, I've been working on the deck editor screen/menu. The Deck Editor is key to the rest of the gameplay, since you can do virtually nothing without a deck to play with!
Since my first post, I have got a friend of mine who is a great artist to join the project and he is working on card portraits and other images for the game itself. It'll be a long time until something is able to be shown off,
but I really wanted to test the waters before venturing further, as this project is intended to be commercial if it floats.

To the second post, I have always liked Trading Card Games. Now that i'm older I really don't ever dust off my shoe-box full of Magic Cards, but I felt like I would enjoy playing an online version,
partly because of the ease of managing your cards, and the ability to find opponents on a larger scale and really test your skills and decks. By coupling that with my desire to create a commercial game
I came up with this project! Like I said though, I don't want to put the effort into making the game "Commercial Quality", and come to find out we have no player base at all!
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

have you seen the MTG TCG computer game ? Did you know that you can buy foils.... Digital rare foils. lol
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Yeah, I've seen it before, I didn't know you could do that lol. I don't agree with the ability to buy rare cards out-right because it ruins their rarity! It's not rare when you can just buy it.
You should have to acquire it from a pack or trade for it. But the fact that they call them foils still is hilarious.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

k1net1k wrote:have you seen the MTG TCG computer game ? Did you know that you can buy foils.... Digital rare foils. lol
Lmao.. seriously? That shit had better sparkle the entire time it's on the field.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

k1net1k wrote:have you seen the MTG TCG computer game ? Did you know that you can buy foils.... Digital rare foils. lol
:lol:

My friends and I occasionally play TCG's (we kinda got out of the habit), but when we did sometimes we would like to play online but,
there was really no point seeing as you had to manage everything you self, the scores, the special affects of cards, it would really be great if a game
did that for you while updating its cards (some of the commercial ones would do this but they would only last one generation of cards),
implementing some free cards might also attract players.
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

The game does look really nice though
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Also, this idea reminds me of Zynga's facebook app "Warstorm". I played it for a little while and it was actually pretty fun. Unfortunately Zynga didn't think it was doing well enough so they got rid of it.

http://blog.games.com/2011/09/07/zynga- ... ord-twist/
http://warstorm.wikia.com/wiki/Warstorm_Wiki

According to the article it had just over 11,000 daily players, so clearly there is interest in the idea if done well. The main point being that the idea is not new, and there are plenty of failed attempts you could study before embarking on such an ambitious journey.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sounds like a great idea to me... just as long as you don't try to instantiate it...

OH SNAP!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Falco Girgis wrote:Sounds like a great idea to me... just as long as you don't try to instantiate it...

OH SNAP!
ROFL :lol:
DatamancerStudios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

I think this idea is going on the back-burner, or the scrapped list.
After talking to a lot of people I just feel like the response would be mediocre at best, even if it had an extremely professional polish.
If I work on any new projects i'll post for your opinions, but i'll be busy with work for now. Thanks for your input.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Well, I'm working on a card table engine already. :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=mh_lolz
JarrodParkes
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Yes, iPhone Application(s)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, PC

Post by JarrodParkes »

Have not come across the project before on the forums. After taking a glance at the videos I am extremely excited. Anything that involves card games draws my interest. Good luck and your project and godspeed! :)