Finished my K.C. Noire game!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Finished my K.C. Noire game!

Post by Moosader »

I finished my "L.A. Noire Text Adventure Esque" game for the Moosader board competitions, thought I'd post a blurb here.

It's basically a text adventure- you're free to walk around different rooms and drive your car to different locations (once you learn about them). There are items laying around to examine, and people to talk to.

Talking to people is made to be like L.A. Noire, where you can ask them about anything in your notebook (Items, People, and Locations you know about). If something seems suspicious, you can choose to believe it as "Truth", "Doubt", or "Lie". If you select Lie, you'll have to present evidence, etc. etc.

I only ended up making one mission for the competition, and it's pretty bare-bones, but there's a possibility of adding on more later. Not sure how much effort I want to put into a text adventure, though. :)

Download (Win/Linux/OSX): http://code.google.com/p/kc-noire/
Btw, v1.0 still has a bug and I only have fixed builds for Win and Linux, so I'd suggest going with those for now. :)

Screenshots!
Talking to one of the useless NPCs in the game.
Examining items, which get added to your notebook.
Here's the Lua debugger :P

When you play the game, it creates a text log in the "logs" folder. I'd really like to receive those from people so I can see how everybody played. :D
Can post 'em via pastebin to this, or email them to my email- racheljmorris at gmail dot com.

Thanksh
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Re: Finished my K.C. Noire game!

Post by LeonBlade »

Really fun concept, the dialog and different text that comes up is funny.
The scrolling text effect gives it that typewriter feel that you would expect from a type of detective game like this.
Everyone check it out!
There's no place like ~/
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Woah! This is awesome! Even cooler than I thought, and I'm loving the dialog! =D

I'll post meh log once i beat it. ;p Stuck at coffee shop. Nobody knows anything about Barista (who serves coffee), and I have a funny feeling I need to talk to or about 'em to find my way to the WWE. ;p

I'll post here again when I get further. =)
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

I tried it - but it seems I'm stuck or did something completely wrong.
I talked to Whited once and then after I finished he ran off (The game was over)
And the second time I played it I simply couldn't do stuff after talking do Whited (Like no options for any person).

Please fix it (or tell me the solution), I want to keep playing :)
Follow me on twitter!
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

Milch wrote:I tried it - but it seems I'm stuck or did something completely wrong.
I talked to Whited once and then after I finished he ran off (The game was over)
And the second time I played it I simply couldn't do stuff after talking do Whited (Like no options for any person).

Please fix it (or tell me the solution), I want to keep playing :)
Yeah, I found more bugs when I was playing it. I need to figure out how to write some automation tests so I dont' have to play through it every time. @_@;

Anyway, the correct answer was... http://pastebin.com/cpi8ZnGx

You can also fix it by doing some lua commands in-game. Think of it like an extra, out-of-the-box puzzle to solve. :P Except that I give you the answer here:
http://pastebin.com/zNTeM4Z6

Arce wrote:Woah! This is awesome! Even cooler than I thought, and I'm loving the dialog! =D

I'll post meh log once i beat it. ;p Stuck at coffee shop. Nobody knows anything about Barista (who serves coffee), and I have a funny feeling I need to talk to or about 'em to find my way to the WWE. ;p
Hahaha. There are extraneous characters in-game. The Barista, guy in the bathroom stall, and Taco Bell employee are just there as padding. ;) (Or I guess you could call it depth)

LeonBlade wrote:Really fun concept, the dialog and different text that comes up is funny.
The scrolling text effect gives it that typewriter feel that you would expect from a type of detective game like this.
Everyone check it out!
Thanks a ton for the OSX builds :D