Drink! (Development log)

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Drink! (Development log)

Post by superLED »

'Drink!' is a game that I'm currently developing. It is - as you might assume - a drinking game. Made in C++ with the SDL library)

Click HEREto download the beta version of the game.

You have a board with a lot of 'cards'. Click one, and it opens. If you got an image of a beer, and the text corresponding to the card says 'Take a sip', you must take a sip.
When you start a game, you chose how many are playing. Some cards will end your turn, and some cards make you pick another card.
Simply enough.

I will upload the game later today, so you can try it out, and play around with the mod.

I still have to make the game more graphical appealing. So ignore the primitive shapes.

Modding
Yes, you can make your own 'mods'. When modding, you make your own cards (with it's own functionality) and your own sounds.
This way, people can chose which game mode to play. If they want a simple drinking game, or a little more hardcore, or a game with 'You must spin around on one leg and yell CHICKEN' stuff and so on.

I really want some feedback on the modding part. Do you need more functionality to play around with? Should I do things in a different way? And that sorta stuff.
Last edited by superLED on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Drink!

Post by superLED »

The content of this post is not longer valid, and I can't delete this post (I guess). So just ignore this post and don't read it.
Last edited by superLED on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

Added a Youtube video so you can see the game in action, along with some simple modding.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

New video:

superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

I have uploaded the game for you to... download!
Click HEREto download the beta version of the game.

Even tho' I'm not getting a single replay in this topic, I'll still update the readers with new information.
Ok, I know this game looks really dull and boring, but it is only a small project for me to work on. I have to extend my game engine with some new elements (like buttons, new type of objects and so on), and this type of game was perfect for that job.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

superLED wrote:Even tho' I'm not getting a single replay in this topic, I'll still update the readers with new information.
I'm starting to feel bad, so here's what's up. My semester has started back up and I'm swamped with inconceivable loads of work yet again, but I have been watching this topic. I'm in the middle of working on a few assignments right now which is why I probably won't be playing with anything tonight, but the project certainly appears to be coming along. Keep posting updates as they come, I'm sure there are at least a few others watching from the sidelines as well. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by superLED »

dandymcgee wrote:
superLED wrote:Even tho' I'm not getting a single replay in this topic, I'll still update the readers with new information.
I'm starting to feel bad, so here's what's up. My semester has started back up and I'm swamped with inconceivable loads of work yet again, but I have been watching this topic. I'm in the middle of working on a few assignments right now which is why I probably won't be playing with anything tonight, but the project certainly appears to be coming along. Keep posting updates as they come, I'm sure there are at least a few others watching from the sidelines as well. ;)
Aw, thanks so much for the reply! :3
It would be really sweet to get some feedback, indeed ^^
Good luck with your work!

Btw, I have fixed a bug where you pressed the 'replay' button, the tracking of the player's card wouldn't reset.
I have updated the download link now, so it should be up to date.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Drink! (Development log)

Post by Arce »

Man I feel like a dick hornet!

This is just one of many topics I should have posted in long ago. That is really sick! First of all, congrats at making something both complete and fun. I'm always impressed when I find something simple conceptually but elegantly implemented.

I would like to comment on both the polish, and packaging. It runs like a charm for me (Win7); good job distributing all dependencies. As for the polish, I'm impressed by both your GUI and the fact that mouse hovering and clicking have accompanying sound and graphical effects. You've done a swell job!

And now, onward to constructive criticism! ;)

I didn't actually check, but I think maybe you can remove SDL_net.dll and libusb0.dll from your distribution. Maybe these are here by mistake, or you have future plans for a 2.0 version?

Next, I think you really need a "Rules" button (maybe from the title screen?) I know how to play since you've described it here, but with the stand-alone you should make it...well...stand alone. ;p

Annnnnddd.....

Of course I couldn't end without giving you credit for the mod system! That's my favorite part. I'm a bit broke atm (can't buy booze :*[) so the core game isn't quite playable to me...Alas, no problemo!

My mod's rules:
Select cards until 10 is reached. That's the activity I will do.

My icon: (A for Arce)
icon.png
icon.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
My Closed (reads: Reest):
closed.png
closed.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
My Cards:
cards.png
cards.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
My Rules:
- init
-- name Cell Mod
-- description This is marcel's version of the game

- card
-- id 0
-- text Nothing happens...
-- next true
-- sound nothing.wav
-- chance 80

- card
-- id 1
-- text A 20 min nap
-- next false
-- sound dots.wav
-- chance 40

- card
-- id 2
-- text Dev time
-- next false
-- sound beer.wav
-- chance 100

- card
-- id 3
-- text Fap fap fap...
-- next true
-- sound star.wav
-- chance 10

- card
-- id 4
-- text Read a book, foo.
-- next true
-- sound bottomsup.wav
-- chance 2
Yeah, not too creative but if I spend more time on this the ES team will neuter me. :P
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Drink! (Development log)

Post by superLED »

Arce wrote:Man I feel like a dick hornet!

This is just one of many topics I should have posted in long ago. That is really sick! First of all, congrats at making something both complete and fun. I'm always impressed when I find something simple conceptually but elegantly implemented.

I would like to comment on both the polish, and packaging. It runs like a charm for me (Win7); good job distributing all dependencies. As for the polish, I'm impressed by both your GUI and the fact that mouse hovering and clicking have accompanying sound and graphical effects. You've done a swell job!

And now, onward to constructive criticism! ;)

I didn't actually check, but I think maybe you can remove SDL_net.dll and libusb0.dll from your distribution. Maybe these are here by mistake, or you have future plans for a 2.0 version?

Next, I think you really need a "Rules" button (maybe from the title screen?) I know how to play since you've described it here, but with the stand-alone you should make it...well...stand alone. ;p

Annnnnddd.....

Of course I couldn't end without giving you credit for the mod system! That's my favorite part. I'm a bit broke atm (can't buy booze :*[) so the core game isn't quite playable to me...Alas, no problemo!
Haha, that's neat!
Yes, the SDL_net.dll and libusb0.dll (and probably some other dll's) is not in use in this game. I just threw everything in there (like I always do when I'm starting a new project) to make sure I'm not missing anything. The clean-up will come eventually, when I'm done.
And yes, I should make a 'How to play' button there, as well as a 'learn_to_mod.txt' file in the modding folder (even tho' you did a really good job finding it all out on your own ;))

I really appreciate the reply, and that you took your time to make a mod. Thanks a lot! :3