Super Mario Brothers Engine

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Super Mario Brothers Engine

Post by Light-Dark »

As a little side project i thought i'd create as best i could a super mario brothers type platformer engine within 1 week and open source it for everyone!

Features

A tiling system
Scenery system
Item system
Debug system
Kinda accurate SMB jump physics.
Lua(only two functions, LoadLevel, ChangeMusic)

Now, to add some challenge in using it, im leaving it up to the user to create their own lua functions,system upgrades and perhaps a editor(editting text files is tedious ;) ).

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nchikjks9y3sn7d

LINKS AGAINST:

SDL
SDL_image
SDL_Mixer
SDL_TTF
lua 5.1

Controls

x - Jump
c - run
~ - Lua Console
L & R Arrow keys - Left and Right
Down Arrow key - Entering Pipes
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Super Mario Brothers Engine

Post by lalacomun »

Nice work, im playing it! the jump is very similar to the original game, but it is still have some bugs, can i add more
futures to it ? just asking... but great work!
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

lalacomun wrote:Nice work, im playing it! the jump is very similar to the original game, but it is still have some bugs, can i add more

sure as hell you can, oh by the way the .exe in the main folder isn't the latest build , for that you gotta compile it again, but yeah its open source you can do anything you want with it.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2

Post by lalacomun »

Light-Dark wrote:
lalacomun wrote:Nice work, im playing it! the jump is very similar to the original game, but it is still have some bugs, can i add more

sure as hell you can, oh by the way the .exe in the main folder isn't the latest build , for that you gotta compile it again, but yeah its open source you can do anything you want with it.
Great now im going to add a simple menu and animate those mushrooms! :)
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

You could put your project to Github. That way, you can access peoples changes and merge it into your own project.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

superLED wrote:You could put your project to Github. That way, you can access peoples changes and merge it into your own project.
Noted :)
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

Yeah, definitely do the Github route. It's a lot easier to manage than a zip file for the project.
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

plus learning git is a bonus skill!
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
pimpy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by pimpy »

Don't want to look nasty on my first post on this forum but only the graphics are good. The code is really neither pleasant to read nor good, the game is not really working ( collisions and items picking systems are not working very well ). The good point is that it can only get better!

( I'm quite disapointed to see that quality in one of your projects :/ )
Joxno
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: The Old World
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by Joxno »

pimpy wrote:Don't want to look nasty on my first post on this forum but only the graphics are good. The code is really neither pleasant to read nor good, the game is not really working ( collisions and items picking systems are not working very well ). The good point is that it can only get better!

Your comment made me immediately download it and browse the code. and to be honest, for a 1 week side project I see nothing wrong, sure a few more comments here and there might've been nice but besides from that, it's simple and easy to pick up and improve upon.

The code is quite easy to read so I do not see what's unpleasant with it, and besides from that, I do not see what's bad about the code for being purely SDL and a bit of C++.

If I came across rude I did not mean for it, just thought I'd chip in with my two cents.

Side note, I kinda like it, sure it were a few kinks here and there, but all projects start with making it work, and then perfecting it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

pimpy wrote:Don't want to look nasty on my first post on this forum but only the graphics are good. The code is really neither pleasant to read nor good, the game is not really working ( collisions and items picking systems are not working very well ). The good point is that it can only get better!

as joxno said it was a 1 week side project, i think i stated that above -_-, i released it for others to improve upon, while i welcome criticism i think your just being blatently rude by ignoring my 'warning' that i made it in a week on my spare time,again refering to joxno its far from completion and shall get better over time, although im very confused by "the code is really neither pleasant ot read nor good" i attempted to make it very clear to understand, regarding the collision, again with one week thats not alot of time.
pimpy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by pimpy »

Light-Dark wrote:'warning' that i made it in a week on my spare time
Ooops, I should read the entire post before posting... And I have to admit that my post looks more like a troll-post than a helping post so I would like to explain myself on what I said.

The code is not pleasant to read :
Many source files are too big and most of your functions are just too bug and too compact. You declare some global vars in the middle of your source code, this can be quite confusing... In some function you just use some magic values, we don't know what represent and it's not indicated with comments :/

The code is not really good :
Well I know it's a one week project coded on your spare time but it's better to do things correctly the first time and having less cool features working on your first release than having a code full of global vars ( beurk ) and having some functions as loadImage and checkCollision in main.cpp, I don't think it's that much time consuming to create some simple Sprite or CollisionHandler simple classes just to have a well organized code. Anyhow I think your a good enough to manage a simple project and restructure it correctly.

Just want to conclude by saying that this is only the point of view of a relatively not experienced programmer and that you should do what you think is better for your project. ( <- thanks for helping captain obvious )
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Ok, now i get where your coming from and yes i would agree now that having a class that will handle Drawing/collision would be a decent idea and i will keep that in mind for the future :)