Worst part of game development?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Worst part of game development?

Post by LeonBlade »

I've yet to get an actual game DONE before... I've always started and got distracted, ran into a bug, restarted 500 times, and I just never get anywhere.
I think my personal worst part is feeling like I can do something better, and end up redoing everything.
There's no place like ~/
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

You seem pretty down about it. Do something really easy like a pong clone just so you get that good feeling back.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

LeonBlade wrote:I've yet to get an actual game DONE before... I've always started and got distracted, ran into a bug, restarted 500 times, and I just never get anywhere.
I think my personal worst part is feeling like I can do something better, and end up redoing everything.
Write Pickin Sticks and then expand from there ;)
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

k1net1k wrote:You seem pretty down about it. Do something really easy like a pong clone just so you get that good feeling back.
Moosader wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:I've yet to get an actual game DONE before... I've always started and got distracted, ran into a bug, restarted 500 times, and I just never get anywhere.
Write Pickin Sticks and then expand from there ;)
I shall, thank you both.
There's no place like ~/
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

I feel like the worst part for me is getting wrapped up in getting shitty art done just so I can work on the engine. I'm learning 3D OpenGL stuff, but given the nature of the task at hand it requires quite a bit of art input just to even get test objects on the screen. All I want to do is get, for example, normal mapping code written but I'm stuck on figuring out Blender's python stuff just to get the data into my engine. Least favorite part by far :(
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

k1net1k wrote:
Moosader wrote:I need new sandals, yo.
^ this made me lol
I got my new sandals, maan. So proud of myself. 8-)
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

For me, the worst part is that I don't have one single friend that is working with games (as a hobby or anything else).
It's simply not motivating when I have finally done some huge progression, and I am all alone about it :p And nobody to discuss game development with.

But that's why it's nice to have a forum like this ^^
Nohbdy
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning C++
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Anything capable of expanding the mind.

Post by Nohbdy »

I love you all.

Heh I really feel glad I found these forums, I've been looking for you people!(What do I mean, you people? :P)
superLED wrote:For me, the worst part is that I don't have one single friend that is working with games (as a hobby or anything else).
It's simply not motivating when I have finally done some huge progression, and I am all alone about it :p And nobody to discuss game development with.

^Exactly my situation as well.
And yet, I find it interesting that...
TheBuzzSaw wrote:Worst part? Finding other people with an ounce of dedication... Finding people who will stick with the project longer than a week... ... ... Finding people who are willing to dedicate themselves to getting the job done...

Finding developers is the worst part by far for me. ...
... I may not be qualified at all for any project in general considering I'm still so new... but I have tried hard to make it clear that I would be a fuzzin' coding slave as long as someone would help me learn it at the same time. I never could seem to find people who "wanted" some person who's life is going to be programming and would work like a dedicated mofo, especially considering the infinite time I had and able to go with any possible sleeping schedule! Sadly this isn't as true anymore, as I'm going into the U.S. Army June 12th. But hey, it's for 3 years, so feel free to make reservations for a slave xP.(I'm going to be a cook by the way, 92G. A cook! After watching many "Adventures in Game Development", I have a feeling that cooking skills could be dizzayumn useful on a team! Perhaps? Customizable food!)
Moosader wrote: I feel guilty sitting at my computer working on stuff and ignoring my bf (even if he's working on his own game), I'm really trying to discipline myself to be more focused at work, I put off chores because I could be programming instead. I'm wearing the same sandals I've had since I was 14. That's 10 years. I need new sandals, yo. I have a hard time playing video games, because it's not as constructive as coding.
And, inevitably, if I go too long without coding, I get really stressed out.
It's like I'm addicted to game development. <_>
I didn't think there were others :O! For me, I can't even play games long because I feel like I should be learning programming(don't have the skill to just "code away" yet ;-;). I always seem to be feeling like I'm not doing something productive with my time on this Earth if I'm not exercising or learning C++, or educating myself in some direct way. I almost always carry a C++ textbook(whether or not I can fully comprehend it) and/or some GameDeveloper magazines, because I get stuck in so many situations where I've gone off somewhere and I'm doing "nothing".. just sitting there... or even sitting with certain people watching non-educational T.V., and it's like "man, if I had a C++ book right now... those 3 hours of nothing could have been something".
--- Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad. ---
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2

Post by lalacomun »

Nohbdy wrote:I love you all.

Heh I really feel glad I found these forums, I've been looking for you people!(What do I mean, you people? :P)
superLED wrote:For me, the worst part is that I don't have one single friend that is working with games (as a hobby or anything else).

^Exactly my situation as well.
And yet, I find it interesting that...
TheBuzzSaw wrote:Worst part? Finding other people with an ounce of dedication... Finding people who will stick with the project longer than a week... ... ... Finding people who are willing to dedicate themselves to getting the job done...

Finding developers is the worst part by far for me. ...
... I may not be qualified at all for any project in general considering I'm still so new... but I have tried hard to make it clear that I would be a fuzzin' coding slave as long as someone would help me learn it at the same time. I never could seem to find people who "wanted" some person who's life is going to be programming and would work like a dedicated mofo, especially considering the infinite time I had and able to go with any possible sleeping schedule! Sadly this isn't as true anymore, as I'm going into the U.S. Army June 12th. But hey, it's for 3 years, so feel free to make reservations for a slave xP.(I'm going to be a cook by the way, 92G. A cook! After watching many "Adventures in Game Development", I have a feeling that cooking skills could be dizzayumn useful on a team! Perhaps? Customizable food!)
Moosader wrote: I feel guilty sitting at my computer working on stuff and ignoring my bf (even if he's working on his own game), I'm really trying to discipline myself to be more focused at work, I put off chores because I could be programming instead. I'm wearing the same sandals I've had since I was 14. That's 10 years. I need new sandals, yo. I have a hard time playing video games, because it's not as constructive as coding.
And, inevitably, if I go too long without coding, I get really stressed out.
It's like I'm addicted to game development. <_>
I didn't think there were others :O! For me, I can't even play games long because I feel like I should be learning programming(don't have the skill to just "code away" yet ;-;). I always seem to be feeling like I'm not doing something productive with my time on this Earth if I'm not exercising or learning C++, or educating myself in some direct way. I almost always carry a C++ textbook(whether or not I can fully comprehend it) and/or some GameDeveloper magazines, because I get stuck in so many situations where I've gone off somewhere and I'm doing "nothing".. just sitting there... or even sitting with certain people watching non-educational T.V., and it's like "man, if I had a C++ book right now... those 3 hours of nothing could have been something".

yes i have the same problems, i cant find friend intersted in programing its kinda dissapointing :( , and by the way good luck in th army ;)
VolsporTV
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: The Void
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C/++ and ByondScript

Post by VolsporTV »

Finding the fucking time to be able to work, and a team of members who have the same ambition you do and won't fuck up the code.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I think the hardest thing for me is probably motivation when a project starts to dull. You hit that snag where you know it isn't done, or you have an error, and you just don't know what to do next. I don't ever feel like I'm addicted to coding. I enjoy time with friends and other such things. But when I get into it, I get into it. Other people don't really understand what I'm doing so if I say I'm working on something they get annoyed, but you know what, its my life and I'll enjoy it how I want. There have been a few times when I accidentally stay up all night working :P
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

eatcomics wrote:There have been a few times when I accidentally stay up all night working :P
That brings memories...

- Son, it's 6 a.m.
- Oh, right.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

VolsporTV wrote:Finding the fucking time to be able to work, and a team of members who have the same ambition you do and won't fuck up the code.
Wanna team up? 8D
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

Working on the 'less fun' parts of a game, for me. I'm not too keen on writing tools and editors to create levels, set enemies, etc. I admit it, I'm a graphics whore, which is why I spent the better part of 6 months just working on a graphics rendering engine. Graphics programming is what interests me the most. Now I have to actually apply it to a game, but a lot of 3D games are complex, and I would have to dedicate myself to animation, AI and physics. Not so interested on working on that stuff yet. So I will step back and do something that plays in 2D but with 3D graphics. Gameplay-wise I've still got much to learn.
101MUDman101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Elemental Dawn (2D RPG)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Lua, Perl

Post by 101MUDman101 »

F*****g Heap Corruptions AAAAARRRRGGHHHH :lol:
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Damn Right.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/101MUDman101